I'm at a Payphone

Tryin' to call home, all of my change I spent on you...

~~~

"Oh shit."

After a three days of living with my co-worker Scarlett, who had a constant stream of obnoxious men always coming through her door, I was thoroughly pissed off at Cole. 

#1: He abandoned me when I had been shot.

#2: He locked me out of the house and took the spare key.

#3: I still hadn't heard from him. Not even a text message saying he was leaving me, or that he was deathly ill and couldn't get out of bed.

#4: Him locking me out of the house forced me to stay with a ditsy girl who constantly gets on my nerves.

I was hoping for the latter part of #3.

Because, I still loved him. And we still needed to beat the crap out of those Feirsts.

I heard from JP. He's chilling with his girlfriend Sarah in Brampton for the next couple days. I doubt that was the truth though. I thought his girlfriend's name was Mary? Oh whatever.

So here I am, standing in a phonebooth in Feirst territory, trying to get a hold of Cole . It's raining outside (thanks for the temperamental weather Canada)and my phone died yesterday. 

And I can't seem to find one more quarter.

I stepped out of the phonebooth and ran across the street to Sam's Deli, which was usually a very neutral place in terms of gang traffic. I quickly ran to the counter and dinged on the bell. A tall, thin African American man stepped out of the counter and approached the register. "Andi!" He said with a smile. "How ya doin' hun?" 

"I'm great, thanks Sam." I said, tucking a wet piece of hair behind my ear. "Do you have a phone I could use though?" 

Sam shook his head. "I'm afraid not, honey. I had to cut the phone line and internet from this place or I would have been late on my rent payments." 

"Ma'am?" A low voice asked. 

I spun around, greeted with a tall, broad-shouldered man in his late twenties. His dark brown hair, which for some reason reminded me of Harry's, fell in loose curls around his ears. It curved up at the ends like he wore a hat way too often. 

The man handed me two quarters. "Have a safe trip home." He said, gripping my hand a little too tightly. I looked down as he pulled his hand away to see the large Celtic tattoo on his wrist that identified him as a Feirst. I jerked my hand away, quickly shoving the money back at him. 

"I don't want your money." 

"Sweetheart, if you know what's good for you, you'll take the money and call your boyfriend." He smirked, handing me back the money. He turned away and walked back to his seat in the corner of the deli, where a bleach blonde haired man and two other goons sat. I waved to Sam and hightailed it out of there. When I reached the door, the blonde one raised his hand in greeting and said, "Tell Cole I say hi, eh?" 

"Sure thing, Angelo. Sure thing."

I ran back to the phonebooth.

I pulled the small slip of paper out of the pocket in my black peacoat and quickly inserted all the money. I dialed the number, and on the fourth ring someone picked up.

"Kingston Hill Hotel, West Toronto Branch how may I help you?" A woman with a too-cheery voice asked.

"Can you transfer me to Suite 1000 please?" I asked.