Chapter One Open Wounds

Chapter 1

Open wounds

"MOTHER STOP! THE PAIN IS KILLING ME!" I scream as she pressed the alcohol stained rag on my leg. "I only scratched my leg up a little. Working in the harbor has it's disadvantages."

"Mason you're leg was cute wide open! How do you manage that?" My mother asked me

"We were unloading a shipment of bayonets into Will's store. I slipped walking into the General store and dropped the box I was carrying." I responded.

"My son you have to be more careful. You and Maria are the only people left who can support our family while your fathers off at war." My mother said as she pressed even harder with the rag.

"I understand that. OUCH! Could you be a little more careful with that?"

"My son wounds don't heal without force." A little blond girl walked into the room.

"My God Mason what happened?" She screamed.

"I fell into the harbor at work today. I'm fine don't worry about me." I responded. Maria is my younger sister. She tends to be afraid for my safety. Since my father was just called up to fight, I am the only one who is supporting the family. Maria makes a little bit of money by cleaning the tavern floors, down the street, after they close up. But I have a full job helping a friend of our family in his General store. Will had been a close friend to our family for a while. He has been giving me extra pay because he knows how hard it is on my mother that dad's up at war.

"Be careful Mason. Please don't get hurt!" Maria said staring right at me with her soft, little green eyes.

"I'll try. Harbor work isn't exactly the safest job in the world." I said.

"Just be careful." She said hugging me, and then leaving for the tavern.

"That should be fine for now." My mother said releasing the pressure on my leg. "You may want to cover that leg up until it heals up. The alcohol should speed up the healing process." My mother use to be a nurse until dad got his call. She had to take care of us. I don't mean to be selfish but honestly we needed it.

"Okay, thank you mom." I responded.

"Are you going to Will's again today?" She asked.

"Yes, but all of the harbor work is done for now. I just have to run the front desk tonight." I said.

"Good. It will give your leg time to heal. And you were never good at the heavy lifting jobs anyway." She joked.

"Thank you from my loving mother."

"Haha! You may want to start heading that way. It's almost six." She said getting my hat and coat.

" Yes, that would probably be best." I said kissing her on the cheek. I then turned and walked out the door.

Will's store isn't far from our house. We live about a mile from the harbor. But since the city is so busy daily, it takes a while for me to make my way over there. I walked down the alley and turned to the town square. Probably the busiest location in the city especially on the brink of war. Many powerful political figures come and go. Usually when exiting they are mumbling over some argument they lost or about this states rights or if Britain will ever leave us alone. Most of it I don't pay attention to. I just wish that this impending war is over quickly and my father can come home.

Turning towards the harbor, I noticed a small regiment of soldiers passing me. All of them had the same red coats and uniforms. Each man holding a rifle and marching to the beat of the drummers pounding. That could only mean one thing. Trouble. I walked away quickly and avoided all contact with anyone until reaching the general store. William in General was painted over the big doors to the entrance of the small shop. I entered the shop to find Will cleaning off the bayonets we carried in earlier. He wasn't particularly the tallest man in the world but he had the strength of three men within him. He pushed his dark blond hair out of his path of vision. "MASON! I didn't expect you to return today after today's incident. How are you feeling my boy?" His sturdy voice asked.

"I'm doing fine Will. I can't afford to miss a day here. We're still struggling enough as is even with your generous donations." I said.

"Ah I see. You're a hard worker Mason. I respect that! It's hard to find a man like you to get the job done. But you should really keep off that leg for a while."

"With all do respect, I'm finishing the the day will." I said firmly.

"Well I don't see a way to change your mind. Tonight's your counter night anyway. Don't move around too much though. Your mother needs you to be strong. And I need a hard working man like you around here. Why don't you finnish up cleaning these bayonets for me and tend to anyone who needs assistance." Will said.

"I'll do everything I can. When are we closing tonight?" I asked.

"Like always we close at mine Mason." He repeated as he did every day when I ask.

"Alright then lets get to it." I said walking over and taking a seat next to him.

We cleaned the remaining bayonets, including the one that was stained with my blood, and Will stepped back to put them in storage. It had been a slow night for us. We usually don't get much business late at night. There was nothing to do but sit and listen to the sounds of the orders being shouted by the crew members unloading and loading merchandise onto their ships. At about eight thirty the door creaked open and two men in red coats approached the counter.

The first man who entered had trouble getting through the doorway because of his... Large body mass, the man behind him was a tall skinny fellow.

"Have the King's bayonets arrived?" The large one asked.

"Yes they arrived earlier today." I responded opening merchandise book Will keeps at the front desk. I flip through the pages looking for a price, "It looks like that will turn out to be about-"

"What did you say?" I was cut off by the skinny one.

"The bayonets sir. They cost-"

"Haha look at him." The skinny one said pointing to me. "He thinks we have to pay for George's weapons."

"Sir all purchases require cash upfront or we don't supply." I said.

The big one's face became red and he slammed his fist on the desk with a loud thud! "Are we getting our bayonets or not?" He yelled.

"You must pay upfront." I responded.

"Why don't we just say this one's one the house?" The big one said. "George payed for those to be shipped over here."

"No. Sir Will bought that shipment for your regiment but payment is required in return or I can't hand them over to you." I said starting to wonder when Will would show up.

The skinny one grabbed me by the collar with force, "You listen here you little ba*****. Either we leave here with our weapons or you will pay for it."

Will emerged from the back room to see the two men. "What seems to he the problem here?" He asked in a stern voice.

"We've come for whats ours, but your boy won't give it up," The large one barked.

"They didn't pay Will! They won't fork over the money!" I said starting to feel light headed.

"Payment is required sir or you won't get your supplies." Will said eyeing down the one grasping me by the collar.

"You're going to deny a British officer?" He said releasing me.

"Id'e deny any man who's a thief," Will said," now I'm going to have to ask you both to leave. Now."

"You don't know who you're screwing with American." The skinny one hissed.

Will reached into his pocket and pulled out a small pocket knife. He flipped it open and looked at the large one, "Are we going to have a problem here?" He said holding back his anger.

The big one looked to the small one "Let's not bother with this now," he said, "They'll get what's coming to them."

"This isn't the last you've seen of us," the tall one hissed as they exited the store.