Flames Die Slowly

It was nearing the end of fall, and the leaves had already fallen off their branches for the year. The areas livestock was beginning to thin, and snow would powder the ground each morning.

            On Friday nights, most of the local teenagers would spend their time in the mall or at one of the parks. Though, since tonight the snow was falling pretty steadily, most had found shelter in their homes or at the mall. That’s where I was, on just an average Friday night.

“You’re pathetic, Derek,” Said my best friend. His arm slid up to rest across my shoulders as I watched his sister laughing with her friends.

            I shrugged him off, “Shut up, man.” He grinned and wove his hands behind his head: the perfect picture of nonchalance.

            “She’s my baby sister and you’ve been in love with her since she was twelve, she’s been single for three months, and I’ve already given you my blessing. Just ask her out all ready, you fucking pansy.”

            I pulled out a smoke and ignored him. He knew damn well why I hadn’t made a move on his sis, she was two years my junior. Now that I was nineteen, she was off-limits. The law, to put it lightly, frowned on adults dating minors.

            “Got a light, bro?” Danny pulled out his lighter and passed it to me. I took a long drag off the cigarette and blew the smoke out of my mouth.

            Then she looked at me and smiled. She waved, I gulped. She jogged over to us and, without a glance at me, nearly tackled her brother.

            “Danny! I didn’t know you were coming to the theatre today!” I could smell her perfume, a vanilla fragrance with a touch of chestnuts. I bit back a groan.

            Danny laughed, “Sorry Aria, Derek wanted to come and see that new action movie. I heard they’ve got naked ladies.” Her disgusted face was exactly what he was hoping for as he howled in laughter.

            “You’re so gross.” Her nose scrunched up, and Danny ruffled her blonde locks.

            “Hey, Ari.” I said. I kept my voice slow and steady, casual.

            “Hey, DerBear. How are ya?” She was still snuggling into her brother, pleased.

            I forced myself not to imagine her in my arms. “Good. Just hanging out.” Then I felt awkward, and once I started imagining her being one of the naked ladies in the movie I excused myself to the restroom.

            Once I was against the sink, I splashed some water on my face. “Come on, Derek. What the fuck is wrong with you? She’s just a girl.” I sighed. “But she’s not just a girl… She’s Ari.”

            I breathed deeply and rubbed my head. I pictured her long blonde hair, her almost glowing green eyes. She’s so beautiful, I thought. She had the most adorable quirks too – she’d nibble on her sleeve when she was nervous, or how she’d walk on the tips of her toes because she was used to it from ballet, or even when she got mad and her whole face turned beet red, and she’d give the person this look like she was going to kill them, but because she was barely five foot no one took her threats seriously. She’s like a kitten, even when she tries to bite you its endearing.

            I ran a hand through my hair – Ari turned eighteen next week. I’d ask her at her birthday party, yeah. That’s the plan. I nodded with a smile.