Prelude

I actually wrote this novel more than ten years ago. I had just begun a new project and had two good chapters under my belt when I heard about a “First Novel Contest” which only required you to send the first two chapters as your initial entry. I thought, what the heck, sent in my entry and kept on writing.

A few weeks later I received a notice congratulating me on being selected as a semi-finalist and asking me to send in the complete manuscript by such and such a date. Sorry, complete what now? At this point I was about halfway through chapter four. So I had to choose: would I throw in the towel, or take some time off work and write this thing in the ten days I had left until the deadline?

I went for it. Every day for about a week, I wrote a chapter between breakfast and lunch, one between lunch and dinner and one before I crawled into bed. My wife would have a look at what I’d written each day and help me proofread it, but I barely had time to fix the typos before I had to move on. On day ten, I had a finished manuscript and I printed it off, mailed it in to the contest and went to bed and slept for twelve hours.

Of course, I didn’t win or anything. What I had sent them amounted to a first draft and a mostly unpolished one at that. But on the plus side, I had a first draft of my first novel! After much substantive editing, rewriting, and four drafts, I began sending it out to publishers and agents and getting lots of positive comments, but no offers of publication. Most writers are familiar with this, I’m sure. When I first heard about Wattpad, this was the first thing I thought of posting. I hope you enjoy it.

This book is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International 4.0 License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). That means:

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link < http://markvictoryoung.com/>

Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission. More info here: < http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/>

See the end of this file for the complete legal text.