Prologue: The Book and The Box

East End, London

"Oooooh! Why does Ciel always push me away?" Elizabeth Middleford complained as she walked the streets of East End by herself. "He never lets me spend time with him! I only want to make him happy, but he gives me some silly excuse that he's busy working on cases as a silly Guard Dog! I don't understand it at all!"

The young lady walked on, muttering to herself frustratedly about her situation until she ventured into a marketplace, where the hub of economic activity in East End thrived. She looked around and saw ruffians and unrefined beings walk past her and make their way through the maze of a marketplace.

"Well... at least I have time to be alone and think of some way to get Ciel to notice me... It took me a great deal to make Paula go on a little fool's errand for me, but it's for the best. I must make Ciel happy again, and I cannot do that with Paula doting on me all the time!" Elizabeth spoke aloud to herself. She looked around and quickly became overwhelmed by the great amount of activity in the market. Hm, where exactly am I...? This is going to be harder than I thought! Elizabeth thought to herself as she walked around to find a way out of the market maze.

Elizabeth, while daintily walking past crowds of people, surveyed the market stands curiously. Merchants of all kinda sold little trinkets and baubles that fascinated the little lady.

"Oh! I really like these little jade earrings and this lovely necklace," Elizabeth commented to one of the merchants.

"Those two cost £50 total," stated the merchant.

"Oh. Alright," Elizabeth replied as she pulled out her coin purse. The merchant was a little surprised at this, but satisfied that the young lady was not familiar with bartering the price of the wares in the market. Elizabeth had almost taken out the exact amount of pounds for the jewelry when she noticed a large book on the shelf of one of the market stalls.

She turned away from the gypsy merchant and ran towards the stall with the book displayed on a shelf. The book had red leather binding, and ornate, gold border designs on the front and back covers of the book. In the center of the front cover was a star with two black ovals for eyes. The large book looked very interesting and full of rich and wondrous stories to be shared. Nothing about it seemed harmful or dangerous.

Elizabeth continued to stare at the curious book. "Wow," she gasped in awe and wonder, "it looks like a giant picture book!"

"Yes, it is. In fact, it is actually a pop-up book!" whispered a creepy, raspy voice from behind Elizabeth.

"EEEK!!" Elizabeth shrieked as she suddenly turned around. She caught sight of a small, hunched, hooded figure standing before her, draped in a formidable, grey cloak. The shadow of the merchant's hood covered all of her facial features, so nothing of her was revealed to the little lady.

"Wh-Who are you?!" Elizabeth exclaimed.

"I'm the merchant of this stall, of course," replied the hooded merchant as she moved to the stall and stood behind it to conduct business with the girl.

"Oh! Alright! Well, how much is that book on the shelf?" Elizabeth inquired, pointing to the pop-up book. Maybe Ciel will enjoy a new and unique story! thought Elizabeth as she looked up towards the book.

"Well, Little Miss, I'm only giving this book to the person who can open this magical box," stated the merchant as she brought out a small, wooden box. It, too, was red with gold designed bordering each face of the miniature chest, especially on the lid.

"What's wrong with it? It has no lock," Elizabeth indicated as she examined the box closely.

"Indeed, but the box was sealed by magical spell, in which only one with a pure heart can open the box," explained the hooded merchant as she tried open the box with her tiny, thin, gloved hands. She tried with all her might to open the box, but to no avail.

"It's truly a magical box?" Elizabeth asked.

"Oh, yes, otherwise, I'd have been able to open it very easily," stated the mysterious merchant as she set the box down on the counter of the stall. This got the young Middleford lady thinking. She pondered the situation for a little while. Soon, her eyes lit up; she had an idea!

"Oh! I know! What if I try to open it? I think my heart is pure enough!" Elizabeth suggested excitedly.

"By all means, you may have a go at it. If you open the box, you may have whatever is inside of it along with the book, my dear," declared the merchant as she gave the box to Elizabeth to open.

The young lady paused to look at the box more carefully. She did not see anything strange about it. There were no mechanisms that would cause the box to open just for her, so she knew that there was no prank involved. It was simply a lightweight wooden box. She shook it a little by her ear. Indeed, there was something inside the box that had to be retrieved. At long last, Elizabeth held the box in front of her and tried to open the box. She could feel the magic of the box, as it tried not to let her pull open the lid from the box at first. It sensed the purity of her heart, though, and once she opened, a bright light shone from inside the box. Compelling mysteries awaited in the box, and now, Elizabeth has possession of the catalyst of a grand and delightful adventure...

The Tale of The Thousand Year Door unfolds...