Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 3: Classified. It means secret.

The smell of two different types of aftershave hit me as I entered my house. It usually smelt of whatever smelly candles Penny had lit, but the aftershave was so damn strong that it made me feel queasy.

Murmurings came from the living room. I had to act surprised by these people. After all, they didn't know a spirit told me they were from the MoD.

'Hey Pen,' I called, shrugging off my jacket and throwing my keys down. 'We have company?'

'In the living room.'

Taking a steady breath, I walked into the room. Two men dressed in sharp dark grey suits sat with a cup of tea. They stood once I entered.

Penny was lying on the sofa with her feet and a blanket over her. 'Rick, this is General Charters and Private O'dakka,' she introduced. They each stuck their hands out. 'We've been having a chat about what you do.'

'Nice to meet you,' I said, though I didn't mean it. 'So, what brings you here, apart from wanting to know what I do? You know,' I chuckled sarcastically, 'you can watch the first entire season of me in action on DVD in a few months.' They didn't say anything but instead glanced at the floor. 'No, you don't want to wait? Come on guys, why have you come here?'

'Rick,' Penny frowned, 'don't be so rude-'

'You received a letter, sir,' General Charters said. 'It was from a very disturbed woman called Sylvia Gap. It seems she's been sending the same letter to everyone with an ability like you. She believes there are ghosts in her town.'

I folded my arms, not believing him at all. 'And the military is involved in this because...?'

'That's classified,' O'dakka uttered.

'Classified?' I laughed. 'What, you mean how you found out she sent me a letter or Sylvia herself-'

'It means classified,' he repeated. 'May we have the letter?'

'Er... why?'

'Classified,' O'dakka said again.

Dryly laughing, I put my hands on my hip and nodded. 'Fine. If it gets you out of my house, fine.'

I hurried towards my office and slammed the door. Edgar was muttering to himself, his posture hunched over a familiar letter I had read repeatedly.

'What are you doing?' I hissed.

He turned and smiled. 'Memorising the address. I have a plan.'

Suddenly there came a knock on the door behind me. Before I uttered a word to 'come in', General Charters was standing in the doorway. 'Mind if I take the letter and go?' he asked and stepped inside. My blood ran cold as he saw the letter by my desk. 'I hope you haven't replied to her?'

'My wife told me to do so, but I thought it an odd letter anyway. So I haven't, and that's the gospel truth.'

Averting his gaze, he glanced around the office as he strode towards the letter. Picking it up, he pocketed it.

'Your gift...' he said. 'What do you see exactly?'

'The unseen,' I told him. 'I see what clouded minds fail to understand or-'

He put his hand up to stop me. 'Sorry, but you are talking to the wrong person. I do believe in the dead. I believe they walked on this earth, most of whom are six feet under. But I do not believe they rise amongst us and hide in the shadows. It's total crap, and for you to play on people's emotions like that... it's disgusting.'

icon lock

Show your support for Abigail, and continue reading this story

by Abigail
@AE_KIrk
Rick has a brand new career, home and life. Everything is going very...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 15 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @AE_KIrk.