Lucid Love

I was walking aimlessly along, daydreaming as per usual. Vivid, colourful pictures of fairies and other fantastical creatures danced in my mind. The sun was beating down on my back, cackles of laughter echoed in my ears. Friends surrounded me and the happy atmosphere almost seemed surreal – the atmosphere seemed perfect: a little too perfect.

Laughing, skipping, pushing and just generally having fun. Then the whole world seemed to come crashing down beside me, time appeared to come to a standstill. There was a blood-curdling screech of brakes. I gasped and inhaled and my face became distorted in horror. The whole world was spinning around me and the landscape blurred.

 Colours became merged in to one another. Every sound became one sound, mixed in to a dull-pitched monotone. Movement became still, in slow motion, barely moving, yet the wind still blew its warm breath against my neck, making my little hairs stand on their end.

 The world grew cold and I was laid against the ground, newly cut grass and fresh pollen tickling the inside of my nostrils. I had a giddy, sickly feeling in the pit of my stomach. It felt like butterflies, but butterflies with pointy, dangerous horns and long, grinding teeth. The pain gnawed away at me, a sort of numbing hollow feeling.

 There was a car behind me; I could feel it grumbling at me. Blue flashing lights seared through my eyelids, which seemed to be closed.

 They wouldn’t open.

 I panicked.

 People were screaming  all around me, a little voice seemed to be whispering in my ear, telling me to sleep, and all I wanted to do was to drift off in to the subconscious universe.

 “Taylor”, I heard someone in a high-pitched voice scream, as Death smiled at me and greeted me with open arms.

 I grabbed his outstretched arms and together we rose up and flew. I felt as light as a feather in a gentle Summer’s day breeze, as I was engulfed in to an abyss of eternal darkness.