Home huh?

Weeks passed before December 23rd rolled up. With the roads cleared the ordered limo pulled up to apartment building Aster rents.

"Aster Ryou?" The man askes,

"Yes, that's me. Been awhile Reltub, how has life been?"

"Your parents have been taking care of old me. Only allowing me out to do chores that aren't labor intensive. I've got just as much vigor as the young ones but no, growing too old apparently." Even at the age of eighty, he wanted more work to do.

"You're a crazy old man you know that?" Aster commented with a smile.

"Would have it no other way! Now get in, your mom may take this work away from me as well if I can't get you back on time."

Getting in the back Aster lays down letting out a long sigh when the door closes. "Finally done! I hate having to look like a normal person."

"Well actually you aren't done, you still have your family for when you get home," Lilith explains,

"They've already given up, I can be my normal self with them. Reltub is the only person I fake a normal conversation with. He has always known me as such and I would prefer for him remember me as such till death."

"Not many people... no other person can compare their lives to yours."

"Was that meant to be a compliment?"

"Yes."

"You need to work on those. I'm going to bed."

"Wait what! No, you can't leave me like this, what I'm supposed to do with you sleeping? Aster? Aster? ASTER!... Nothing, has he always been this lazy? We'll have to work on that when we get to his parent's home."

If Aster knew that falling asleep would have gotten him a much more labor-intensive workload his body would shot up and found some way to distract Lilith. Currently, she was trying to poke his face but alas she was a spirit.

---

"We are here Aster." Reltub opened the door before waking him.

"Thank you Reltub glad to be back," Aster comments with a fake smile gracing his lips. Getting out he made his way into the house. He stopped when he heard Reltub's shout from behind.

"Young Master... before my days come to pass I wish to hear the words of your poems." Reltub requested.

"Clouds are only fleeting because you can't grasp them,

Stars are only boundless because you can't comprehend them,

Dreams are only fading because you can't reach them,

Nights are only dark because you can't stay in the light,

Love is only confusing because you can't accept it,

Life is only regretful because you can't accept loss."

Aster didn't listen for a reply as he himself knew the lines to be unbefitting for closing remarks. He wasn't done with the poem though,

Mumbling under his breath his says these extra lines,

"I can't grasp the clouds,

I can't comprehend the stars,

I can't reach my dreams,

I can't avoid the dark of night,

I can't accept the love of another,

I can't live a life without regrets,

I'm no better than you."

"But that is only when alone,

Clouds are within your hand when on another's shoulders,

Stars are beautiful when with another,

Dreams are within reach when working with another,

The darkness of night fades with the rise of the sun,

Love is accepted when with another,

Life's regrets are forgetful when laughing with another." Lilith counters with a smile.

"Don't try to make my lonely poem seem happy," Aster complains.

"Should have left it at the first part."

"Why's that? I feel the opening line on their own hold too much arrogance and self-reliance. He doesn't ever say himself in the lines he only says "you" like he is some king talking to a peasant. The second the set of lines brings the words back to earth to where the readers see he is just a normal person who has become too lonely and isn't likely talking to anyone. With your lines, the feeling of loneliness created in the first two sets are lost."

"The arrogance is what is needed. It will drive people to want to prove the writer wrong. So, what if you're a king, I'll become a god!"

"I like my variation more," Aster states contently not at all swayed by her words.

"You talking to yourself again?" A masculine voice asks from in front of him.

"Anax, have you broken my records yet?" Aster counters,

"You're a shell of your past self, you are incomparable to the you who set those records."

"So, you haven't?"

"Of course not! 5.0 GPA, 2400 SAT, 36 ACT, and published poet, you were a monster. Mom and dad have tried to take your record from the books but your sisters and I have always stopped them. We may hate you but what you have achieved can't be recreated. You threw everything away, the family name, the college degree, your inheritance, everything! And for what! A book you won't ever finish?! You could be king, you could b-"

"STOP!" Aster shouted, his loud and powerful unbefitting of the body it bellowed from.

"Aster..." Lilith whispered in concern,

"King? Family destiny? Naïve thoughts! What do I gain by being the most powerful, the smartest, the one with the most potential? Expectation, expectations and more expectations! Beat my scores Anax and if you can't, tie them and if you can't tie them let your parents remove them. Curtail huh? Lives up to its name." Much like with Reltub Aster walked away from Anax without waiting for a reply. Walking up the door he paused, the white door with golden trim caused Aster to clench his hands before taking a deep sigh.

"Home huh?" He said while pushing the doors open.

As Aster took in the opening lobby he found himself lost in the extravagance. Everywhere he looked there were statues, jewels, marble pillars and golden trim. Hanging on the left wall was a board that said, "Curtail Academic records" and it is needless to comment that Aster was at the top of them all. Having been lost in thought he missed a one in a generational beauty walking down the complimenting steps.

"Aster? Is that you?" Her voice was slow as a tear rolled down her face.

Hearing her voice, he was frozen stiff, it was her, that angelic voice is something he will never forget. Violet eyes to match her violet hair and flawless jade-like skin comparable to the statues made in the lobby, if not better. The last time he saw her was a time he would rather never revisit; if he had known she would be here he would have accepted Lilith's punishment instead.

"It's been a long time, Acantha," Aster replied his voice no louder than hers.

"It's you!" She shouted before running down the stairs in her high heels. When she finally made it to him she jumped at him hugging him tightly as they fell to the marble floor.

"It's really you!" She comments while tears flow down her cheeks.