Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Louis Tomlinson

2010

                I looked out the classroom window. Dark clouds loomed ominously over the town. It was going to rain and I had to walk to work. Great, just great.

                “Miss Taylor? MISS TAYLOR!” A finger jabbed me in ribs and almost fell out of my chair.

                “Yeah, what?” I looked around the room, everyone was staring at me.

                “The answer, please,” the teacher said sternly. I stared at her blankly.

                “Erm, 254?” I guessed randomly. The teacher looked at me weirdly.

                “Yes,” she said slowly, then moved onto her next victim. I sagged in relief. My lab partner laughed.

                “That was a close one, wasn’t it,” he said. I rolled my eyes.

                “Whatever, I’m psychic, you know.” I turned and looked into the blue eyes of my partner, Louis Tomlinson. “You better drive me to work. There’s no way I’m walking.”

                “Humph, I think you’re only my friend because I can drive,” he joked. I raised my eyebrow; he was the only student in our grade who could drive. “Yeah, fine,” he groaned. The bell rang and we raced to the door and into the crowded hallway.

                “Louis!” a girl’s voice drifted towards us. We turned around and saw Hannah, his girlfriend. She walked towards us and I searched for the quickest exit. For some reason, Hannah didn’t seem to like me. She was nice to everyone else, but when it came to me, she had this cool, distant attitude.

                “Stay here if you want a ride,” Louis threatened. He always wanted me to “bond” with his girlfriend. I crossed my arms and tapped my foot, waiting. “Hey babe,” he kissed her. I looked away; this was really awkward, thanks Lou. I cleared my throat, but they kept kissing.

                “Ahem,” I said loudly, they broke apart and Hannah glared at me. “Well, would you look at the time,” I looked at my watch, exaggerating the motions. “We’re going to be late for work, again.” I emphasized the last word.

                “You up for tonight at 7?” Hannah asked Louis, completely ignoring me. Louis looked at me, then back at Hannah.

                “Yeah, sure,” he said. I grabbed Louis’ arm and pulled him away.

                “You might not care about being late to work, but I do. And since you’re my ride, you aren’t going to be late. Then maybe you can get off your, what is it? Seven month probation?” I said as I marched Louis to his car.

                “Seven and a half,” he corrected.

                “Right.”

                Thankfully we got to Vue cinema in time.

                “Cee Cee, Louis, you’re both by the ticket booth,” our manager said when we rushed in. We nodded and headed towards the register.

                “You know,” Louis said casually, “I might try out for X Factor again this year.” I looked at him and grinned.

                “Go for it Lou, you’ll be great!”

                “Yeah,” Louis said, “Hannah thinks so too.”