Fly and dive, Live and die

I looked back. Mother was contemplating us. Today was an important day. The most important day in our life. All the group was going to watch us. I could not eat or even sleep for two days because of what was going to happen that day. A little shiver ran through me.
"That's today, it's your time" I thought.
I turned around one last time to see her with my brothers and sisters. I stepped forward until my feet exceeded of the edge of the cliff. Down there, the waves were licking the rocks. The sea was rough around the point. I closed my eyes. I could not do that, I was not strong enough or brave. I stayed like that a long time, I do not know how long. It was my decision, it had to be mine. The wind rose, I listened to it, and it was whispering something to me. I waited, I tried to understand, but I do not speak the wind's language. Mother always says it is our friend, she told me it whispered stories about the past. Stories of wars, death, shadows but also about life and birth. Maybe it was now telling me a story, my life's story. Well, that should not be long, I am young. I caught a big breath of air and gave a little pulse in my feet, to let my body fall along the cliff. I could feel the wind sliding on me. That was incredible, all those things I was feeling at the same time. Fear, anxiety, surprise, euphoria, freedom...
I opened my eyes a few seconds before impact. As if it was natural, I spread my wings. The air rushed on it and stopped my fall instantly. For a brief moment, I thought I was getting back. My heart was as noisy as a storm. I was flying a few centimeters away from the surface of the sea. Some fish jumped out of the water around me. I did it, I was flying. Suddenly, I curved my wings to dive. All the noises disappeared. The song of the waves striking the rocks, the screams of my friends around the cliff, the only sound I could hear was the thunder of my blood pulsing in my head. The silence was surrealist. I swam in this incredible blue. The water was fresh but I was not feeling it.
A fish passed in front of me. Instinctively, my muscles tightened and I dashed after it. In a few seconds, I caught it, when at the same time, another one passed in my field of vision. The hunt was opened. I swam for hours, getting up only to breath.
Finally, I got back to the surface. The wind had fallen, and the sea had become calm again. Behind the cliff, I could still see the warm colors of the sun. It was time for me to get back...
I turned back, and in some beatings of wings I was in the sky for the second time in my life. I was going back when an idea came to tickle my spirit. I wanted to see my world. Not my nest or the beach. More. I wanted to get higher than the cliff, higher than the sky, just before the clouds. I climbed. It was cold, but my energy and my excitation were making me feeling like if I was flying to the sun. I arrived at the limit between the reality and the dream of the lifeless clouds. The painting was incredible. The landscape was a perfect mix between the green of the plains, the dark of the rocks and the blue of the sea... A light hot wind blew in my feathers. And it is at this moment, I heard it. It was not a dream, of it, I am sure...
"Now, you are one of them. You are an Atlantic Puffin..." whispered the wind...
__________________________

Voilà juste une petite nouvelle qui participe actuellement à un concours d'écriture en anglais. J'espère qu'elle vous aura plu. Bonne semaine 😘