8 ~ Wasted in Paradise

Connor spent almost all of his time at Lilia's Bakery, working part-time shifts on weekdays and full-time on weekends. He rescheduled his part-time job at Iris for the morning during weekends before going to the bakery. Lilia baked in the kitchen with Connor, while Zailey was in charge of everything on the floor.

"Ma, I'm going out tonight... I'll be back by two at the latest," Zailey said as she was summed the day's revenue.

"You're not planning on going clubbing again, are you?" Lilia asked.

"It's been so long! And I won't get into anymore trouble!"

"Nope. Not taking any chances. We almost had to sell our souls trying to cover your last scheme."

"Ma, they came up with a good plan this time! We won't get caught anymore. I already missed it two weeks in a row, please!"

Lilia sighed, when suddenly, her face lit up as an idea popped into her mind. She turned towards Connor who was arranging treats and setting them on top of the table.

"Connor!" Lilia exclaimed.

"Connor?!" Zailey turned to him with shock.

He tilted his head to the side with a confused expression.

"Wasted Paradise... With Zailey?" He asked after listening to Lilia's five minute business pitch.

"I'm sorry if I'm forcing this on you. You don't have to do it," Lilia said.

"Can't she handle herself?" He asked.

"Of course I can. Stop this, Ma. He's not coming!" Zailey said.

"I'll go," Connor said.

"What? Why?!"

"It's not a bad way to earn some money, if I'm hired to be your babysitter."

"Stop treating me like a baby! I'm not-"

Lilia interrupted her, "You either go with your babysitter or don't."

Zailey brought her palm to her forehead and bit her lip in frustration. She knew it was just another plan Lilia had devised in that beautifully-styled little head of hers.

"Ma... Come on. He's a man. If anything you should be more scared."

"He's not just any man. He's Connor. I trust him more than you."

"You've known him for what, a couple weeks... You don't trust me that much?"

"Paying him for babysitting is cheaper than paying for property damage. So, make your choice. Take Connor or stay here."

***

"You're sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure I don't need a pacifier! Now quit it!"

They stood in front of the club, waiting for the rest of the crew to show up. After a couple minutes, Zailey heard Josephina and Nathan bickering.

"If you could just listen to me," Nathan pleaded.

"Oh, so you can make up another lie about how she needed help?" Josephina turned to Nathan as they reached the front of the club.

"Are you jealo-" He tried to get a word in.

"Zai! You're here!" Josephina cut him off and ran towards Zailey and Connor. "Come on, everyone's waiting."

The four walked over to a group of people leaning towards the wall, smoking. The group was made up by Jacque, Elizabeth, Destiny, Henry, and his girlfriend, Kayla.