~13~

Edit

"If you had a friend that you knew you'd never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it. Do it. Don't wait. Nothing lasts forever."- One Tree Hill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|Present|

"So, your dad is really marrying Nichole's sister, huh?" Danielle asked.

"Yeah." I sighed.

"That sucks."

"Yeah."

We were both currently in my room lying on my bed.

I turned my head to look at her. I still couldn't get over her transformation. She was still beautiful, but really different from the friend I'd left three years ago.

"So, what happened?"

I rolled my eyes at her fake confused expression and threw a pillow at her.

"You know what I mean Danielle."

She sighed. "Life just started to plummet after you left, for all of us I guess."

"What happened between you and Bruce? You wouldn't shut up about him three years ago and now you haven't even mentioned him once." I asked her gently.

Her expression saddened.

"He broke up with me the day before he left for Dartmouth, said he couldn't manage a long-distance relationship. What we had in high-school was good but I guess I always knew in my heart that it wouldn't last no matter how badly I wanted it to. I don't have any ill feelings towards him, really. I understand that he had big dreams for himself and I couldn't be a part them. He's a good guy, I will never say otherwise. He came back for Megan's funeral and even stayed here for two weeks to comfort me."

I sniffled, "I'm so sorry you went through that. I wish I was here with you Danielle."

"Do you have any idea why Megan . . .? I couldn't bring myself to finish the sentence.

Danielle winced.

"When you left, things got really bad. Especially Hunter, he was so messed up Scarlett, it was like he lost his mind once you were gone. He ended his  friendship with Jace, he wouldn't talk to anyone, he started getting involved in dangerous things, bad people. During this time Megan was the only person who had it all together. She was like the glue holding everything together. But one day suddenly, she changed, she stopped being the Megan we all knew and loved, she didn't smile, she rarely even talked. I tried asking her what was wrong but she wouldn't talk to me. And then one day, she was just gone. . ." Danielle took in a shuddering breath. The tears running down her cheeks matched my own.

"I don't know why she killed herself Scarlett. I wish I had known so I could have done something about it. I was here all this time with her and I still couldn't save her, you have no idea how much it kills me every time I think that. Going to her funeral was the hardest thing I have ever done. And Hunter. . ."

She wiped her tear stained face with her trembling fingers. "I saw him at the funeral Scarlett and the look on his face still haunts me. He wasn't crying. He wasn't talking. I watched him as he stood silently by the open grave. Just as they lowered the casket into the ground his eyes met mine, he was looking at me but he wasn't. I saw no ounce of life in his eyes Scarlett. It was like they were burying his soul with Megan too." She shuddered.