Chapter 5, Part 2: Owen's POV

Spanking. A word that should be reserved as a threat for a toddler- rarely utilized. For a fifteen-year-old man, it should never even be so much as threatened. How was I supposed to prove to my brothers I was growing up if they kept treating me like I was said toddler?

"You're getting a spanking," he had stated, clear as crystal. I should have been able to scoff, passing off the prospect as nonsense. I should have been able to react a variety of different ways- none of which I was, of course. No, instead, I was quivering in my school shoes and grasping the arms of my chair for dear life.

Okay, so perhaps I was not gaping like a fish out of water; I was shocked, however.

Time to state my case like the grown man I knew I was. "Coop... not that. Please." Well, that went well.

My brother just sighed, shaking his head at my lame attempt. It wasn't often that he would go this long without smiling; it was unsettling. Cooper leaned forward again, resting his bent elbows on his cluttered desktop and eyeing me speculatively.

"What else did you expect?" he asked simply, gently bobbing his chin on his clasped hands.

What else did I expect? A number of things, actually. Sympathy. Understanding. Mercy. A little leeway from my favorite brother. Clearly, none of these things had crossed his mind enough to change it. The steely resolve was still present.

"I dunno," I mumbled, picking at the arm of the chair. A loose splinter punctured painfully under my thumbnail, an ironic precursor to my very near future. "I figured you'd ground me for a while, that's all." Wasn't that the typical punishment a fifteen year old could expect?

"I could. I could ground you to your dorm room, and you might actually learn something, after a few weeks. You may even be sorry after it's all over and done with. But I know you, Owen. The longer something goes on, the less it affects you. By the time your grounding was done, you'd probably have no qualms about lying to your teacher's face again. Who knows, you probably wouldn't have any fear of consequences whatsoever," he pondered, seeming lost in thought. I opened my mouth in protest, but Cooper was already continuing.

"Then what would we have? A teenager with no self-respect, no self-control. Is that who you want to be, Owen?" Knowing eyes met mine, and I saw how grown up my youngest brother had become. I saw his authority- over me, particularly- plain as day. How long had I been ignorant of it?

The tears crowded the corners of my eyes like moths to a flame, and I kept my head strategically down. "No," I mumbled, wincing as my voice cracked. If only the eleven-year-age-gap weren't so painfully obvious right now...

"I didn't think so. That's why we spank you. It's so there's no confusion about consequences. It's so you'll think before you do something that could earn you those consequences. I know this might sound like a huge load of bull to you, Owen, but you'll understand when you're older."

The rubber band snapped. The dam burst. The bottle popped, the wall fell, and I was as vulnerable as the day I was born.

My head snapped up, tears leaking out in torrents.

"I'm tired of not being old enough! I'm always too young to understand! When will I be old enough?" I didn't understand why my decisions were always being made for me. Was I going to turn forty before I ever made a single conscious decision on my own?

The wheels of an old office chair scraped across a rubber mat, trainers slapped lightly against the white-washed concrete floor, and I felt a familiar presence behind me. If I was grown, I wouldn't have fallen into the comforting arms.