Chapter 4

So basically Mom and Dad let me to go to the same school as the boys.  I of course was in the same grade as Toby, since we’re both 10.  And became a new student myself, Toby didn’t mind to keep me accompany before, during, and after school.  I haven’t known this place that much though, so yeah, I needed him.  And by the way, this was my first day at school.

“Kaitlin, wake up.  This is 6 already you’re running late!”  Mom shook my hand…no, she basically shook my bed.

“Mom it’s still 6, please.”

“But this is your first day honey.  It’s not okay to be late at your first day.”

“What time is it again?”

“6 am,”

“Oh okay.”  I opened my eyes slowly.  Yeah, sometimes I spoke while sleeping; it’s kind of my thing.

“Breakfast is outside!”

“Definitely Mom,”

“And the boys will be here in 30 minutes!”

“What?  Who are they boys?”

“Whoa, you better open your eyes first.  It’s the McDonough of course Kai.”

“Oops!” 

I ran here and there like a snap after my Mom told me that the boys would be here in a second.  I haven’t showered yet, haven’t taken my breakfast yet, and haven’t woken up yet.  I could see Mom shake her head seeing me in this rush motion.  But it’s school, who loved school?

“Kai, are you sure you’ve showered?”  Mom raised an eyebrow on me.  I practically spent only 15 minutes so probably Mom didn’t believe I’ve done everything in such a short time.

“Mom, please…”  I rolled my eyes playfully and took my sandwiches as well as wearing my shoes.

“Need any help, girl?”

There’s a boy’s voice came up from behind me, and obviously it’s not Dad’s.

“You Riley, you shocked me!  How could you enter the house, you weren’t knocking.”

“I called Mom and she said I can just come in here whenever I want and the door will always open for me.”

“And you’re so happy about that…”

“Yeah…”  He made funny face.

“Where’s Connor and Toby?”

“They’re having breakfast.  I’m assigned to kidnap you.”

“So excited,” I glared him.

“Hah come on, you’re done?”

“Yeah, let’s go.”  I stood up and Riley had my bag for me.  “Hey thank you.  Wait, I need to see Mom first.”

“Go ahead.”

“Mom, I’m leaving with Riley alright!”  I yelled to the kitchen, and Mom showed up.

“Take care, kids!  Let me know if you need something.  Oh and this is the house key Kaitlin, I’m going to work this afternoon so probably I’ll be late.”

“Sure Mom.”

“And I’m sorry Mrs. Arenas, if you’re okay with that, I guess Kaitlin can just stay at mine first.  You can just call me when you’re home.”

“Oh, it’s very kind of you Riley.  Yeah Kai’s better stay at you this afternoon.  You hear me sweetie?  Be good okay.”  Mom kissed my cheek and I was having that shocked expression.  This Riley guy, seriously.  “Enjoy the first day!”

“Bye Mom, I love you!”

“Bye Mrs. Arenas!”

“Riley, call me Mom.”

“Oh done, okay Mom!”

We walked to his house and I couldn’t help but give him the glare. How could he be that close to Mom?  I know Mom was very nice to people but she’d never been like this before.  I thought she would think that Riley and the McDonough were only neighbors.  Never thought she could trust Riley that much.

“What?  I have superpowers.”  He chuckled.

“Hmm, what are you talking about?”

“Your Mom, she loves me, because I have that charm.  Charm is my superpower.”

“Whoa this is going to be a long exhausting day.”  I rolled my eyes.

“Kaitlin’s here!”  We walked straight to the kitchen where the boys were.

“Okay let’s go, we’re done!”  Connor commanded.  “Mommy McDonough, we’re leaving yeah?”

“Okay boys and Kai, take care!”  Joan kissed her three sons and me.

So I should admit, the school was not really sucks.  It had a beautiful garden at the front.  This was the first time I realized that probably I wouldn’t hate school so much.

“Hey Kaitlin, let me show you something!”  Connor grabbed my hand and dragged me to one of big rooms at the corridor.  “This is the music room.”

“Wow…” 

Yeah, it really did look like a music room.  They had so many guitars inside, one big piano, a mini stage, microphones, drum set, basses, everything.  I called it heaven.

“So you must have spent your entire days here, uh?”

“Pretty much, we called this heaven.”  Toby smiled.

“Hey that’s what I’m thinking too!  This is awesome!”

“What about lunch time?”  Connor put his hand on my back.

“Perfect!”  I yelled, so happy to see guitar again after all.  “But won’t the other kids be here too?”

“Not really, as far as we know, they don’t really get so attached to music.  They’ll be here only if there’s music class.”

“I see…”  I took one last look inside the room.

“Great, let’s get out of here.”  Riley closed the door.

“So we’ll meet you both here by lunch time.  Riley and I will go to that corridor, and Kaitlin, you’ll join Toby.  Mom has arranged the classes so you’ll have the same exact class with Toby.  Toby, don’t you dare leave her alone.”  Yeah, the big bro spoke.

“Understood,” we both nodded; me and Toby.

“Good, see you soon!”  Connor walked away.

“See you little Kai!”  Riley put his hand on my shoulder and soon joined Connor.

We waved away to them and I walked with Toby to I didn’t know where.  I would just follow Toby everywhere.

“So be on my side okay?  These kids are somehow being so judgmental to new student.  You know, you’re like a new game to them.”

I replied Toby’s line by a single smile.  Glad I had these boys with me.