Pyrrhic Victory Song

Stark described the room well. Bland mud comforters tucked into side-by-side full beds. Light stained wood nightstand held ancient handset phone and clock radio. Tight knit carpet crunched as the first girl entered, dragging her bow bedecked rolling case. Thin curtains sharing the third story view fluttered as other girl slinked in behind her, forlorn. "A cave has a better color pallet," she mumbled as she fell backwards onto the bed, backpack cast to the carpet before, rolling suitcase left beside the door.

Squeals reverberated as the first girl danced around, her laminated American Competitive Cheer and Dance League badge spinning like a scythe. Coal Nfinity® backpack landed cockeyed inside a hotel sofa chair as she shucked it off while back flipping onto the other bed. She glanced over at her roommate and best friend's ceiling gaze and sighed.

"We're at Worlds, Gwen. We made it! What could possibly be wrong?"

"I miss her, Aria. Lorelei told me about this. She wanted me here. We promised each other we would make it once together, even though we were at different gyms. This," she enunciated with hands thrust at the ceiling, "would have been the second time we both would have made it. It's gone now." Her voice took on a distinctive Australian accent. "That coach stole it from her, me and everyone he killed at 'Ghost town'." With a resigned sigh, she shrugged. "I'm fine. I'm not missing this year as well because of Delamort", Gwen said as she sat up, hazel eyes blinking away tears.

Aria sprung from her bed into standing full that catapulted her onto the other bed landing beside Gwen. Embracing her friend in a tight squeeze, she grinned sympathetically. "We'll do it for Lorelei. I'll let everyone know when we go out for the preview."

Tossing herself off the bed, she frowned at the bland, Mickey Mouse adorned room. "We can't stay in here; we're in Disney World®! You need serious cheering up and I know exactly who can do that!"

Gwen whipped her butternut tresses around, a smirk on her thin lips. Striding to the window, she pushed a gap in the curtains. Sky and railing stared back. "We were told not to leave our hotel room until preview." That amused smirk held fast.

Aria ran over to the door, jerking it open. "So? Does either of us really need chaperons considering who we are? Really!?" She folded her arms under her petite bust. Suddenly in the open doorway, a thick, brawny guy with a square jaw and caramel cotton candy hair stood his deeply tanned right arm raised. Wide hazel eyes connected with Aria's chocolate ones as she gave him the one over while flashing a sexy smile. "Rick? Still with Tsunami I see."

He tugged the black Tsunami with a 'T' in the wave t-shirt, grinning. "Still a Grace Wolverine I see." He poked her in the chest, her glitter manicured hand brushed just beneath the gold crown bedecked Star and paw emblazoned on the T-shirt she wore.

Recognizing him, Gwen's face grew hard. "Not interested." Her fierce hazel gaze crushed his mirth.

"I didn't hook up with Mandy. A rumor, Gwen, nothing more." He held his hands out, pleading. "I never loved her. Why would I want pursue her when we spent all our time together at Nationals? Come on! Go to the pool with me. I know how much you love the water."