Chapter One

Author's POV

"I don't think I can do it." Ellie sighs, slumping back into the sofa.

"What're you so afraid of? It's just a job application for crying out loud." Rachel rolls her eyes at her, "You're too talented to be staying in this crappy town, you might land this job and it will be your ticket out of that hell hole of a house."

Ellie sighs once more, this time agreeing with her best friend. "Alright, here goes nothing." She hits submit, throwing the bad energy right out of the window.

_____

"Bey!" Greenberg rushes over to her boss, red-face and seems to have something to say.

"What is it?" Beyoncé chuckles, taking in her assistant's franticness.

"You're going to kill me – or fire me."

Beyoncé just waits for a reply, not having any time for this.

"I forgot to mention that we have a few resumes to look over today—"

"What for?"

"For the personal photographer, you had requested." Greenburg reminds her.

"We can do that later, I promised Jay I'd meet him for dinner."

"What time is later?"

"I'll text you when I'm finished," Beyoncé sighs, "Go and enjoy the rest of your night for the time being."

Greenberg takes a mental note, although, working for the superstar meant there was never a second to yourself. Your entire life had to revolve around her, some have grown sick of it, but Greenberg wanted to stick this out as she knew it would lead to many great opportunities for her.

"As you wish."

They walk separate ways, the only thing on the pop-stars mind was her husband and how this dinner was needed for the both. Their relationship had been rocky lately and Beyoncé couldn't blame anyone but herself. Although it required two people to help make a relationship unbreakable and she was the only one holding the ropes at this point. She needed to fix this, she kept repeating to herself.

Somewhere in the back of Beyoncé's mind, she knew their love was going to shit, but they had a daughter to think about and the investment of this relationship is far too big for them to throw away. She was also afraid, afraid if their relationship were to end, how was she going to start over new with someone? All she's ever known is Jay. He was her first everything.

The fighting had grown over time, it was the arrogance of their success getting in the way. Both Beyoncé and Jay-Z have turned into a snobby couple, where competitiveness is all they have come to know. 

"Hello Mrs. Carter," she's instantly greeted by a hostess, "Right this way, your husband is waiting for you." Beyoncé is lead through the dimly lit restaurant, leading her to the back where a private table with Jay-Z was waiting for her.

She's left alone instantly.

"We agreed for six." Jay immediately says.

"It's still six, Shawn." She rolls her eyes and takes the seat across from him.

"It's six-fifty."

"Okay so I was a little late, but the shoot didn't finish until now. What am I supposed to do? Yell at the photographer and tell him to hurry up?" She bites, snappily opening the menu.

"Don't start with me." He sighs, "I made sure to be on time, my schedule is much more hectic than yours and you know it—"

"Here we go again." She rolls her eyes, it seemed to be the only thing she'd do around him.

"Well it's true, I'm making an effort, I would like for you to do the same—"

"Stop talking to me like I'm a child. I'm not a child, Shawn. I'm a grown ass woman." She hisses, trying to keep her voice down.

Jay-Z bites his tongue, "Alright." He takes a deep breath, "What would you like to eat."

She too pushes the nonsense to the side. "Not sure yet."

"Well," he clears his throat, "How was your day?"

"Busy." She mumbles something under her breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." She fakes a smile, "I have a few interviews later to look through for the personal photographer I had requested."

"I still find that to be ridiculous. Why would you want to bring a total stranger into our lives... to take photos of you?"

"It's not like that and you know it."

"Well, explain it to me because I have no idea what this sudden spark came from."

She rolls her eyes, "It's for my fans, as well as content for my website, plus my social media accounts."

"I could have taken your photos just fine." He argues.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"It has to do with me, Beyoncé. I should have a say in this."

She sighs, frustratingly. "We don't even sleep in the same bedroom." She hisses, lowering her tone.

"Exactly!" He argues. "You want a total stranger to see how fcuked up our life is?"

"There will be plenty of contracts and I always choose the good ones anyways. So, worry about your dinner right now and let me worry about it."

He shakes his head.

There is a faint knock on the door before the server returns, both sitting up with a fake smile plastered to their faces.

Things were about to take a turn in the Carter family, Beyoncé nor Jay-Z could have ever guess nor imagined it.