Chapter 18

Two days later they had a funeral for the four guards that died and Tina. Liliana and Amelia worked on a solid black ball gown with silky fabric and a high neck top. My hair was in loose curls and I barely had any makeup on.

"Will you girls be there?" I turn and ask them

"We are only allowed in after the royals leave. We get more time though so I have no problem with it." Liliana says and sniffles slightly.

"You don't get to listen to the speeches for them though." I say questioningly.

"Those people didn't know her. That's just their job. Those are just words coming from their mouths not emotions." Amelia shakes her head. "Thank you for your consideration though."

I smile at them and head out. I go down the hallway I'd been told it would be held and into the wide room. My eyes scan the room and five caskets were on raised pedestals at the other end of the room.

A small cough made me turn my head and my eyes meet the bright blue ones of the queen.

"Sorry your majesty." I say with a quick curtsy. "I wasn't paying attention." I apologize softly.

"No worries Lady Autumn. I just wanted to let you know that I understand that this is extremely difficult. During my own selection years ago my friend died during an attack. I understand how hard this is so if you need anything or have a day where everything just becomes awful know that you will be excused." Queen Charlie says with a sad smile.

"Thank you." I say after a few seconds of silence. "That means a lot."

"You're welcome." She says. I look around for a few seconds before she speaks up. "He's over there." I look to where she nods and it leads me to the person I had been looking for. My face flushed in embarrassment and I duck my head.

"Sorry." I apologize mostly to myself. I was being that needy person who I didn't want to be.

"Oh no worries. I like you." She says simply before turning and making her way over to the King. Seeing them together was one of the most beautiful things because they'd loved each other for years. They'd been through a lot and we all knew it. Though they were each nearly fifty they still looked at each other the same way.

I make my way to Will and he smiles when he sees me. I attempt my own smile but it doesn't work as great.

"Have you been up to the casket yet?" He asks me quietly and eyes the shiny material. I follow his gaze and shake his head. In all honesty I'd been trying to avoid it but I knew I'd have to go up sometime.

"Not yet." I murmur.

"Do you want me to walk up there with you? We don't have to but if you want me to I can." Will tells me. I nod and he links his arm in mine and leads me up there. We go past the four caskets with the guards in them. All once innocent people at home that happened to be brought here. They all looked so strong even in their time of death. When we came upon Tina's casket she was such a contrast from the guards.

I let go of Will's arm and hesitantly walk up to her. She looked the same except a paler face and smaller body. I didn't want to touch her because I felt like I'd be disturbing her.

"Do I have to stay for the speech?" I ask Will quietly. "I want to say my farewells to her and go. Amelia and Liliana said that the people talking didn't even know her well and I really don't want to stay for that. I think Tina would understand."

"I don't mind. I'll come check on you afterwards okay?" He says and stands over the casket beside of me.

"Okay." I wait for a minute before I speak again. "She's so pale." I gingerly touch her hand that is folded over her lap. I thought I'd cry here today, but it almost felt peaceful. It was easier after seeing her like she was almost just asleep. I could tell I violent her death had been like this.

"It isn't her anymore. She's watching you from somewhere but this isn't her." Will says quietly from close beside of me.

"I guess so." I say and hold her hand for a few minutes. A rather loud crying disrupts my thoughts and I look back to see Josie with her head in her hands. "Why is she crying? She didn't know any of them." I ask aloud.

"I think it's just everything going on. I better go check on her." Will says and leaves. I watch him walk away for a few minutes and sit beside her to comfort her.

"Oh what should I do?" I whisper to Tina's motionless body and squeeze her hand slightly. I saw two men come up to the front of the room with sheets of paper. I took it as my cue to leave and turned and quickly sped up the aisle. I didn't want to watch this.

•••

I sit on my bed after a bath of rose petals. I'd heard people coming up just a few minutes ago from the funeral and my maids had left to go say their own goodbyes.

There was a soft knock on my door and I look up. "Come in." I say. Will steps in and sits in front of me on my bed.

"Doing any better?" He asks.

"Yeah." I nod. Was I though? I really wasn't sure.

"Well I want to take you on a date tomorrow. I think it'll be a good way to get everything off your mind." Will says and runs a hand through his hair.

"I think that'd be great." I nod and smile.

"There are a few things I have to take care of but I'll see you tomorrow." Will smiles and stands up.

"Okay." I say with a gentle smile. I watch him leave and lay down on my bed.

I didn't know what I was going to get myself tangled up in because my feels were already holding me too tightly.