Chapter four

The rest of lunch passed peacefully and without a hitch. Sebastian seemed distant, he hardly spoke and when he did it seemed off.

I could tell the rest of the group wanted to say something but nobody did. Nobody knew what to say. Nobody could comfort him over what happened or reassure him that nothing would come of it.

I hoped it would just blow over but something told me this was just the start of the drama, especially with Jaxon's new vendetta towards Sebastian and the way he was treated now.

It was evidently having an effect on him and there was nothing we could do.

"Seb?" His head snapped up to face Luka's soft voice as she softly pushed a box of cookies across the table towards him.

"I though these might cheer you up just a little."

An easy smile made its way onto his face and I saw that familiar spark of life relight in his eyes.

"Merci beaucoup mon belle."

Angie sighed from the end of the table, noticing the way people kept glancing at their table, almost unable to tear their eyes away. She guessed the picture had escalated but it was off putting, she couldn't imagine how Sebastian was feeling.

The bell rang and they all went their separate ways, Sebastian left his group and made his way up to his locker. Someone had thrown pink glitter over his locker and sprawled a few insulting words but they didn't affect him, he didn't have the energy or heart to let it affect him.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see a guy he didn't recognize, he guessed he was part of the football team by the varsity jacket he sported alike the rest of the team.

"Are you actually gay?"

Sebastien raised an eyebrow, not expecting someone to blank out ask him. Cautiously he nodded his head. The guy shrugged it off and left.

For some reason, this bothered him more than the shit scribbled all over his locker. That he could deal with because it was childish, however he didn't understand why a complete stranger would feel the need to come up and ask him. Was this something he'd have to get used to? Never mind the thought that his parents could still find out and that would be it.

He didn't feel like going to his last class so he decided to skip. Normally he'd never think of doing that, he normally tended to abide by the rules but he felt a heavy need to leave the school and escape that atmosphere.

He grabbed his empty bag and turned to take the back exit out of school, past the art classroom because it narrowed down his chances of being caught. He walked down the empty corridor, when a hand shot out of an empty classroom and yanked him inside.

He barely had time to react when he felt a painful fist imbed itself into his stomach. He didn't look up as he was kicked down. He though there were two people, maybe more. His face smashed against the cool tiled classroom floor before someone grabbed the back of his head and yanked his face up again before slamming it back down with force. A foul metallic substance filled his mouth but it didn't stop there, he felt blows dealt to his back and shoulders, mercilessly attacking him, a relentless onslaught of blow after blow.

He felt another fist cold against his burning face. Finally they let him drop to the floor and he didn't have the energy to move. He could feel the blood began to pool around his face and heard footsteps walk past him, he counted them as they left and then he was left in silence except for the silent ticking of the clock above him.

It ticked all the way through the period and he stayed on the floor, his body felt as heavy as lead as he later stoically and a gut wrenching feeling of rage overtook him. Why was he being subjected to this? It ran though is feverishly before subsiding to a dull throb.

He didn't hear the door open as a teacher entered. He didn't hear the shocked yelp or the sound of a coffee mug crashing against the tiles.

He heard nothing but the dull throbbing running through his head.

———-

Luka was finishing up her biology exam, she looked up as she heard footsteps echo past her as a guy handed his paper up. She could see it was filled out to the brim and she frowned. She was normally the first to finish but then realized that was a stupid thing to get bothered over.

She hurried up to hand her exam in and stole a glance at the last exam, cursing herself when she realized she left out the last line of the formula when she saw it messily scrawled on his paper. She scanned for a name and felt an odd sense of satisfaction when she saw it in his cursive writing at the top of the page.

Levi.

She didn't recognize the name, but shrugged it off and returned to her seat. She spent the rest of the class repeating the formula but wasn't able to focus very well.

Her eyes moved to stare out the window, she could see the cars lined outside and let her eyes move across them before she zoned in on a familiar person making their way across the school grounds. Her heart fell in her chest as she saw Sebastian's father. He stared ahead, his mouth pressed in a tight line as he made haste into the school.

Luka felt her hands become clammy as she rushed out of the seat until she was standing above the class. The teacher looked at her skeptically as she excused her and made a beeline behind her.

"Luka, where are you going?"

"Sorry Mrs Lahy, I've to go." She left, ignoring the curious glances that followed her out as she walked towards the office at a brisk walk, the principal saw her and raised an eyebrow.

"I hope there's a valid reason you're out of class Luka."

She faced his stern glare with one of her own.

"Sebastian, what happened to him?"

He sighed, before motioning for her to follow him as he passed his office and walked towards the nurse's office. Luka felt confusion start to bubble up in her as he pushed the door open to reveal Sebastian.

He lay in the bed, his face badly bruised, his right eye swollen shut. He had small cuts peppered over his face but what really struck me was the defeated, callous look he gave me, he looked straight through me as a heavy atmosphere fell on the room.

"You're friend was attacked during sixth period. Some guys pulled him into an empty classroom and assaulted him."

Luka turned to her, gaping.

"Have you found out who it was?"

She grimaced, "we're looking into it. There are cameras there but I believe that corner is a blind spot and the cameras do not extend into the classrooms."

Luka turned my attention back to Sebastian, my eyes filling with tears.

"Oh, Seb..."

He chucked darkly. "Hey, at least I still have those cookies." Luka couldn't remember seeing him so broken down, he looked exhausted, a deep set tiredness evident on his face. Even his voice sounded hollowed. His skin was a pasty-white, he looked ill.

"Son."

Luka took in Sebastian's father who gave him a look of slight worry mixed with contempt and annoyance.

He nodded his head towards her and she stood perplexed. He turned to the principal.

"May we speak confidentially about this matter?"

The principal nodded and lead him out of the room. Soon after they left, Angie's voice echoed outside as she stormed past the secretary who warned her against coming in. Luka knew better as she burst in, her eyes widening at the side of her friend.

Dalia fell in behind her, raising a hand to her mouth.

"Oh god."

Angie turned and walked out, slamming the door behind her in anger.