Chapter Twenty-Three

Harlow

I could remember many times in my life in which I had given the cheek to someone who had tried to kiss me. Bad dates, co-workers with the wrong impression, friends who wanted more, guys at bars…but I never, ever recalled feeling so unsure about it. Merle had pretty much dropped it ten seconds after it happened, so nonchalant about it. Didn’t badger me, didn’t bring it up. It was like it had never even happened. I would have been overjoyed that he was so willing to forget about it in most circumstances, except for the fact that it was now going on nine days and I was the one who still couldn’t stop thinking about it.

I knew it had been a good idea not to let it happen…but I couldn’t control the part of me that had wanted it. That was still wondering what would have happened if I hadn’t turned my head at the last second. The idea of being just another name on a long list of woman was what kept me thinking straight, though. I didn’t want to be just another notch on Merle Dixon’s bedpost. And the fact that getting close to anyone these days was a bad idea. That’s exactly what it would come down to and was also how I reminded myself to keep a level head every time I saw him and wondered ‘what if’.

“Harlow.”

I jumped at the sound of another voice and whirled around to see Milton standing in the doorway. “Jesus, you scared the shit out of me.” I breathed, placing a hand on my racing heart. I went back to changing the white sheets on the hospital bed. Dr. Waters and I had finally discharged Richardson, which meant getting things ready for the Governor’s next unfortunate victim. Oops, patient. I meant patient.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you. I tried knocking several times, but you seemed to be too involved with your work.” He said quietly.

I laughed. “Making a bed isn’t exactly work, Milton. Just got a lot on my mind.” I admitted. I turned around to face him, perching on the foot of the bed.

He adjusted his glasses, fidgeting awkwardly from side to side. I wondered if it was just me who made him appear so nervous, or if he was this way with everyone. “Well, that’s sort of why I’m here actually. The Governor feels as if there’s been a lot on everyone’s mind lately. He’s providing some…entertainment tonight. He feels it will help ease the tension and anxiety around town.”

I narrowed my eyes, slightly suspicious at his use of the word ‘entertainment’. He said it so uncertainly. Like he wasn’t exactly sure what the correct word was. “Okay…” I said slowly. “By entertainment do you mean like a baseball game? A tennis match? Because I have no idea what else would exactly qualify as entertainment here.”

Milton averted his eyes to the floor. “It’s…well, you’ll just have to come and watch. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.” He said quickly.

Now I was more just a tinge suspicious. I knew it would be pointless to try and worm anymore details out of Milton. He was the Governor’s puppet. He’d or say anything that man wanted him to. It was sad, really. “Alright, fine. Where and when?” I asked, standing from the edge of the bed.

“Tonight, at eight o’clock. The lot where the vehicles are usually stored, at the end of town.”