Ch. 9: Sleeping Beauty on a Low Budget

I woke up slowly, groggy as hell. As my brain started to work again, I felt the surface underneath me and recognized the texture of leather. There was a pillow under my head... Was I on a leather couch?
    "Ah, you're awake! Good, I was starting to get worried," a voice hummed. I turned my head to see a blurred figure sitting across from me. When my vision came back into focus, the figure was revealed to be Crane.
    "Dr. Crane...? Where....?" I muttered, attempting to sit up. Light-headedness hit me like a train. He immediately jumped to his feet and laid me back down.
    "Easy now, don't sit up yet," he said soothingly. "The effects of the drug haven't quite worn off yet."
    "The drug?" I struggled to recall what happened before I passed out. All I could remember was the nightmare. After a moment or two, my memories finally kicked back in, and I remembered the gas I'd actually sprayed myself with right before the vision started.
    "Oh!" I exclaimed, bolting upright. My head seemed to clear up swiftly. "That's right!" I faced Crane, anger rising in me. "What the hell was that stuff?" I demanded. "And why the he'll do you have a laboratory under the asylum?!"
    "It was a gas that makes the subject that inhales it see their worst fears," he replied simply. "I use that lab to produce it.
    I stared at him incredulously as he sat back down. He looked at me expectantly, which only irritated me more.
    "Why would you need a gas like that?" I asked slowly. He responded with a sigh, as if the answer should've been obvious.
    "It's part of a new therapy project I've been conducting," he responded. Judging by the silence that followed, he was leaving it at that.
    "Well, it needs work," I said dryly. An amused smile crossed his face. I groaned and laid back down, draping my arm across my face. "How long was I out?" I inquired.
    "About two hours." I peeked over at him with one eye.
    "Were you sitting there watching me the whole time?"
     "......... Perhaps." I snickered, not so much creeped out but humored at the thought of him watching me sleep.
    "You should have kissed me," I teased, "Maybe I would've woken up sooner!" He shook his head, but I could see him smirking.
    "Does this look like 'Sleeping Beauty?'" he asked.
    "We could call it 'Sleeping Beauty, but on a budget of 5 dollars,'" I hummed. That won me a laugh; a real laugh. I had to look straight at him to make sure that it was actually him.
    "Well, I think I should probably get going now..." I mumbled, sitting up and swinging my legs so my feet were on the ground.
    "Hold on," Crane said, leaning forward. "I don't think you should drive."
    "What? Why not?"
    "There's a chance you may experience additional side-affects of the drug," he explained. "If that occurs, the last place you want to be is behind the wheel." I crossed my arms; I couldn't really argue with that.
    "Then what do you suggest, Doctor?" I huffed. He was quiet for a moment. I stared up at him patiently.
    "Let me take you home," he answered finally. My mind blanked.
    "W-What?" I stammered.
    "Let me take you home," he repeated.
    "I-I don't th-think that's a good idea," I mumbled, desperately trying to come up with an excuse.
    "Nonsense. It's the least I can do." He rose and walked over to me. I froze as he offered a hand to help me up. "Come on," he purred, "I don't bite."
    I looked up at him. His smirk was still in place, and he batted his eyes at me almost flirtatiously. All irritation I'd been feeling melted away suddenly. My face heated up.
    "Ok," I agreed, taking his hand.

A/N: Sorry this is such a short chapter. This was originally going to be one half of a longer chapter, but then it would've been too long, so I just decided to split it up. ^^;