ENTRY 4

August 17, 1992

Michael was half asleep on the table. It was a few minutes before the bell for our first class of the day began, and our friend couldn't stay awake. Luke held a paper cup filled with piping hot black coffee to the brim and chugged it until his face was filled with pain. Calum laughed and handed him a ten dollar bill. "I didn't think you'd actually do it," he said.

"I need lunch money," Luke said. "I can't feel my tongue."

"Yeah, because you just drank hot coffee."

"It was for the money."

"That's the first step towards prostitution," Calum joked. "Next, you'll be stuffing twenties in your boxers and giving head behind bleachers."

"You're a jackass." Calum laughed. Luke looked at Michael. "He's dead." Calum poked Michael's back. Our pale friend groaned.

"I hate you guys," he moaned. His head popped up from between his arms. "I hardly slept."

I looked at my friend. He was a mess. It was nearly a month since Sam had broken up with him and he was still a mess. "How are you holding up?"

Michale cleared his throat and blinked hard. His eyes looked tired. The bags under his eyes were almost a purple color. "I'm fine," he said. "I just didn't sleep all that great last night." Michael's hair was faded. He hadn't gone to dye it since May. Luke offered him his cup of coffee and Michael drank from it. He sat up now. His eyes darted between Calum and the girl approaching the table from behind him. It was Sam.

The thing was, Michael was still her friend. Sam still cared about him and loved him but they weren't romantically involved anymore. That part of their relationship didn't work out. Sam looked sad too. It wasn't was sad as Michael was, but she was still sad. He hid her sadness behind her sarcasm and hilarious personality.

"Why are you all deceased?" she asked. "It's barely the third day since we've been back, and you all look like you've been to each other's funerals."

Michael shifted in his seat. Calum rubbed Sam's head and threw his arm over her shoulder, "Oh dear friend of mine, it's called not wanting to be here."

Sam nudged him away. "You could use a little school. You're still an idiot."

"Yikes," Calum said. "I'm hurt, honestly."

Michael ran his hands through his messy hair. "Yeah, there's really not much you can do to help him."

"Oh, shut up Clifford. I've seen you naked," Calum joked.

"So have I and it's a far better option than having to listen to you speak," she said. Luke choked on his coffee. I sat there, with an uncomfortable look on my face. Michael's cheeks lit up like a Christmas tree. Sam covered her mouth. "Sorry."

Michael's face was still red with embarrassment. "It's okay," he said.