Chapter 13

***PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR THIS CHAPTER IF YOU LIKED IT!***

Note: Sorry it took a long time to update this and sorry that this is going to be short. I have a new job now and it's taking all of my time. Hope you understand!

CHAPTER 13

The bacon was crispy yet it tasted like cardboard in her mouth. Still, she tried to chew and swallow for she needed the strength that food brings. As Quil said, today was going to be hectic and it looks like the first thing they had to do was to have a meeting with the elders. Astrid sighed. This was yet another event she was dreading. Today, the elders will finally decide on what to do with her.

Astrid looked around her room. It was simple yet it had a lot of space. It was quite nice even without the comforts of modern technology. She could imagine herself getting used to living here. But what if the decision was to send her away? What’s going to happen to her then?

With a shake of her head, Astrid got up from the bed. Quil promised that he’d protect her and that he’d always be there for her. Since she ended up in this world, he hasn’t broken any promise. She believed him and trusted him implicitly.

Astrid just placed down the tray of food on the nearest table when the door burst open. It was Tara again and without another word, Tara captured her hand and led her to the room with the tub. “Go on and bathe. The elders will be expecting you soon. Eion has already gone ahead,” she instructed. Astrid eyed them warily as she remembered how they bathed her last night. The expression on her face must’ve been the cause of Tara’s laughter.

“You can bathe alone now. You’re not filled with blood and grime anymore. I think you can handle yourself,” she said. She was still chuckling as she exited the room. “Pssh,” Astid muttered as she discarded her clothes and stepped into the steaming water.

The heat relaxed her sore muscles and Astrid leaned back against the cold marble. She closed her eyes and sighed. This world really wasn’t so bad—except if she gets thrown out of Quil’s tribe. If that didn’t happen and she got to stay and then the blood moon never arrived, she could say that she’ll be content and happy to stay here.

Another sigh escaped her lips as she lifted her arms over the water and rubbed soap on them. She stood up and the water sloshed over the sides of the tub. She scrubbed every inch of her and then went back to soaking in the tub. That was when she remembered what happened earlier. Who was the girl and what was her connection with Quil? Why did it feel as though they had a shared past and a huge part of Quil belonged to her?

Astrid frowned as a wave of jealousy washed over her. Wait. Jealousy? Seriously? Since when did she ever get jealous? Maybe for new bags, shoes or clothes of the most expensive kind, yes. But for men? When did that happen?

Astrid snorted and dunked her head beneath the water. She never felt this way—not until Quil arrived. This was bad. Especially when it seemed like her feelings would never be reciprocated. She wasn’t actually saying that she had feelings for Quil. But if she did, she would be setting herself up for more pain than any danore could dish out.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. “You still alive in there or did you drown?” Tara’s voice called out. Astrid rolled her eyes. “I’m fine!” she answered. The door opened and Tara came in. She was carrying another bucket of water and a change of clothes. She placed the clothes down on a chair beside the tub.

“Stand up,” she commanded. Astrid did as she was told. She knew that there was no point in arguing anymore. Tara emptied the bucket over her head, rinsing all the soap from her body. Then, she handed Astrid a piece of cloth. Astrid stepped out from the tub and started drying her body.