Prologue

"It's not you, it's me."

"Really, Ellie, I just need some time on my own... To be me."

"No, no! You've done nothing wrong! I'm just not ready for anything serious at the moment."

"Please, don't make this harder than it already is."

"Look, we can still be friends... Right?"

Love has never been on my side. Never. My parents divorced when I was five, my sisters wedding was cancelled five hours before the ceremony when the groom woke up in the bed of the Maid Of Honour, and I have never been past the first date with a guy.

Lucy won't accept her fate, she's convinced that Mr. Right is out there somewhere with a sports car and the keys to his holiday house in France, ready to tell my sister to grab her passport and go at a moments notice. Mum's fighting it too. "Online dating," she says, "Will get you everywhere." So far she's managed a total of zero dates and a large Internet and phone bill. And as for Dad, well, he's still convinced that his blonde bimbo from England is going to go through with marrying him.

I seem to be the only realistic one in the family. Love has just never been in the cards for any if us, it's a fact.

Really it would be nice though if everyone could stop trying to prove me wrong!