Chapter Twenty-seven.

P.O.V of Dick.

The water was about to overtake my head, and then it would be game over. I had had longer than anticipated, long enough to watch as the sun set and send a prayer to my parents that when I join them they forgive my sins. The level raised to my chin.
Please keep the team safe.
Over my mouth and nose.
Make sure that my family do not suffer.
Completely submerged.
Please make sure Babs gets what she wants out of life. And finds love.
I floated in peace for a minute before my lungs began to burn for air. Then, against my will, I sucked in a mouthful of water and began to drown.

P.O.V of Barbra.

I was full out sprinting towards where I thought Slade might be keeping Dick. Running on reserves, literally, as my energy had been spent helping the search for most of the day before joining up with the mish-mash of heroes. I pulled to a stop just outside of the old pool building, taking in the scene. The windows were smashed in, graffiti decorated the walls and the door had gone. I felt as though eyes were staring into me, but I had to make sure Dick was safe. I headed inside and quickly swept my eyes over the dismal tiles. The pools were all empty, but their was a hose transporting water out back. I ran as I followed the line of the hose and stepped outside as it started to drizzle with rain, sticking my hair to my face. And there, at the far end, the pool was overflowing with water. I ran over and looked in to see the still form of Dick floating in the centre, his ankles chained to the bottom to stop him surfacing for air and his wrists to the walls to stop him from trying to loosen the chains. 
"HELP!" I screamed, hoping someone would hear me, "HELP!"
I shucked off my jacket, joggers and top until I was stood in just my undergarments and jumped in. I dived to the bottom and looked at the chains. Finding a weak spot I began to pull at the weak link until it snapped loose. I surfaced for air and dived back down, repeating on the other chain. Once that was loose I went to the sides and unhooked the start of the chains before lifting him out and putting him on the side.
He wasn't breathing.
"HELP!" I screamed, all thought leaving me.
I couldn't lose Dick, I just couldn't. I was so caught up with the fact I may never see him again that I didn't put together the change in his appearance; in sunken face, longer and shaggy hair and his skinny frame. I put him on his back and began to complete chest compressions. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Roll him into his side and let the water remove itself from his system. And repeat.  I don't know how long he had been dead, and I only half noticed a presence come behind me but eventually he began to breath, coughing out water.
The sigh of relief that hit me was like nothing I'd ever felt before. It was like releasing a breath I never knew I was holding, it was as if I'd just found my other half.
"Babs?"
I smiled down at the boy who the weak voice had come from and wrapped him in a hug tight enough to cut off his breath again.  I quickly let go at he fell into another coughing fit. He was alive and safe. Alive. He was dead. Was. He's alive now, Dick was not leaving this world, not now not ever. And the fact that I now realised how mortal we were, I leant forward and kissed him. He tensed at first, surprise probably, but then he was kissing me back and everything in the world felt right.

P.O.V of Dick.

Bab's pulled away first, both of us sucking down air like a lifeline, and then my eyes moved to behind her. I stood up and ran over to my best friend, wrapping him in a hug tight enough to rival those of Superman.
"I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you." He said, his tears falling onto my already soaked shoulder.
"I'm sorry I tried to kill you." I croaked out.
"That wasn't you. I know you'd never actually kill me." He looked me in the eye, tears still falling down his cheek and hair plastered to his head.
"Or do you..." I asked in my most creepy voice and we both burst out laughing.
And then Batman and the crew came.
A whimper caught in my throat as Bruce ran over and picked me up in a hug, "I thought I'd lost you."
"I thought I'd lost me to."
"What about Bab's?" He asked and I looked back over at her as she stood awkwardly at the side.
I looked back over at Bruce before walking back over to her.
"Thank you." I whispered, wrapping my arms around her neck and leaning my forehead on hers.
"Just don't go dying again, okay." She said around her tears, mirroring me.
"I can't promise anything." I chuckled and she leant back into another kiss.
It was heaven, to know that we were together. That we were safe.

"So, this is really why you'd been getting injured back in school?" Babs asked in wonder as she was shown into the Batcave.
Everyone had finished marvelling at my life, apologising and rejoicing and now we were all in our civilian gear in the cave.
"Yeah, I never really fell into a wrestling match." I smiled.
"But if you did you would have won?" She said, swinging our joined hands.
"Oh he would crush a wrestler just by moving so fast and having them punch them self." Jason said, swinging an arm over my shoulder.
"Jay, leave the lovebirds be." Damian said from the other side of the room and I felt myself blush.
Jay put his hands up and walked backwards away from us and I heard Tim laughing from somewhere in the cave.
Babs and I continued in the cave towards a locked door at the back. I let go of her hand and just looked at her.
"What?"
"Pick the lock for me." I said, "There's a surprise on the other side."
"Making me work for my own surprise?" She asked jokingly, "It better be worth it."
Just under three minutes later the door swung open and a light came up inside of it to show her her new uniform of justice.
"Oh My God." She breathed.
"How would you like to join us on our mission, Batgirl?"