24

.^^ Lady St. Clare's Setup ^^

— Idun —

The sight of a confused fox was enough to make me giggle, but when glass said 'go', my shield blocked a sneak attack to my left side.

I kicked out straight, on instinct, and slammed into my enemy's chest, despite how his arm was plunged through a shadow portal, and stabbing at me.

"Isn't that against the rules? That's Meta Magic, not Physical." I called out.

Glass shook his head slowly. "Hector, no portals. Your Familiar can make them, you cannot."

He dissolved the portal, pulling his arm out, and then simply disappeared.

I raised my shield above my head, relying on pure instinct once again, and blocked his sword, then spun casually, and backhanded him with it as he landed on his feet.

He hit the ground a few feet away, dazed, and I slammed a fire-ball into his chest, making him yell and hop up, ripping his now-shredded shirt off, and stomp on it.

While he was doing this, I advanced, shield in front of my abdomen, and attacked with my spear, for about the first time in the Finals.

Armor appeared on his body just in time, forming scales of black metal. It wasn't Mithril, but it felt something close.

"What Metal is that?" I asked, humming as we circled.

"Nonofyoursium." He grinned childishly.

"Brat." I thrust the spear, then twirled the butt, catching his nose just barely, then rammed the spear into his new breastplate, sending him tumbling with raw power. "Make a deal: I win, you tell me about that metal; I lose, I make you a set of Mithril armor to do with as you please."

He hopped up. "Eh, whatever. Not like I'm going to lose."

I held out a hand, my spear stabbed into the ring. "Shake on it?"

He grabbed my hand, and went to stab me, but my shield bashed his face savagely, knocking him out and tasing him at the same time.

"Good dealing with you." I nodded.

"And the winner of Group A of the Finals is the First year, Lady Idunacantus!!!" Glass roared happily, and the stands erupted.

I blinked. "Group A?"

"Yeah, There was two groups of 8. That's why you fought seven fights. The eighth fight determines the Champion. Anyway! Now, the moment you've all been waiting for, the Grand Finale, the Kings Gambit, the True Show, the only fight that truly matters in this competition, THE TITLE FIGHT!!!" He roared, laughing.

There was no surprise, for me, when Lady St. Clare stepped into the ring slowly. I knew I'd meet her in the Finale, if it wasn't Eliza.

"Now, I'm sure you're all aware that there are a few Rule Changes for the Title Fight... such as the ability to now intentionally inflict permanent damage upon an opponent. Death is still outlawed, but Horrendous Maiming is now available to you." Glass stood next to us.

"Ooh, goody." I murmured.

"Also, the restriction on Class Six and above Offensive Spells is raised, and you are free to use anything below a Class 10, though if you use a Class 9, and destroy my stadium, I might be pissed... just saying." He frowned.

"What's the highest class that's been used?" I asked.

"Madeline used a Class Six with her Cosmic Reactor Beam." He nodded.