14- Losing Things (Part One)

Night was retreating now, though darkness and speckled lights still ruled the skies

Night was retreating now, though darkness and speckled lights still ruled the skies. Bertrand leaned into a fire cupped in his hands, his mouth illuminated by the bluish light. Whispering quiet words that spiraled from his mouth as white vapor, he thrust the dancing flame into the air. A hiss and a flourish swivel, and the curl of fire speared upward growing redder, until coalescing with the blazing dragon that flew in a continuous loop around the fairgrounds. It watched from overhead, casting a red glow on the gleaming mist surrounding the circus. From below, Kia padded in the opposite direction, his mane glinting like a halo under the fire.

Just as with Ellie and Jin's departure, the small circus troupe came together a distance from the crystals to bid good luck to their departing horsemen and Ringmaster, though Finvarra had yet to appear. Murmurs blanketed the crowd in one steady hum of dread, and worry found a home in Leanna's heart.

Though sunlight approached, the lingering darkness was heavy with unknowns. The dew that once soothed Leanna now smothered her, and she wiped a hand over her face struggling for a breath. Finding that she stood in the darkness, she stepped aside into a small ray of light coming from a nearby tent. It was a small act, but until the sun rose, dispelling the dew and the terrifying mysteries beyond the crystals, that small light offered some comfort.

"I wish they would hurry on and go, instead of throwing it in all of our faces," Kioyo muttered under his breath from beside her. "I could have found Inara by now, in all the time they've wasted parading around basking in everyone's sudden adoration. And where is the Ringmaster?" Kioyo toured his gaze along the crowd. He scoffed. "Probably deciding which coat looks best to woo the Constable's daughter."

The words were irksome, but Leanna smiled sympathetically, reigning in her discomfort. She looped her arm around Kioyo's. With her free hand, she smoothed his arm in quiet strokes akin to the passing breeze that popped the tent flaps behind them in quiet rustles. Feeling the crisp roughness of Kioyo's wool coat under her fingers was another comfort. In all the darkness, she was not alone.

"If it helps any, remember that I am supposed to be magnificent, and for that, I need you. Therefore," Leanna straightened, and held her chin high. Forcing a feigned firmness to her voice, she said, "As this faerie goddess I am supposed to be, I forbid you go. You must stay here with me and teach me, or else..." Leanna bit her lip in thought. She'd never threatened anyone before, real or pretend. She hummed. This was harder than she thought. She waved her hand airily. "Well, I've yet to think of punishments and such, but you can't go. There, it's handled." She patted his arm, putting an end to the issue.

Kioyo cast her a sideways glance. Though he said nothing, a small smile trounced his frown, mirroring Leanna's. He brought his hand on top of hers and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Besides, look at Krinard," Leanna said, fixating on the centaur who arranged various vials into a muddy colored saddlebag. "He hardly seems happy about going. None of them do."