Chapter 8: Hot Stuff

"No," Natsumi whispered, covering her mouth with both hands and staring at the bank of monitors. Tears trickled from her wide eyes. "Oh, no ..."

"I knew it." One of Camille's hands gripped the arm of the sofa and the other clenched into a trembling fist. "I knew she was going to get herself killed!"

I'm about to watch one of my friends die. Sierra shook her head slowly and tried to process what she was seeing. This can't be happening.

"It's not working!" On one of the screens, Bulkhead's human-size body hosed the burning SWAT tank down with a fire extinguisher. "It's putting some of the flames out, but the metal is still melting away."

"We've got to think of something else," Tomoko shouted. "What about sand? If we cover it with sand, that should smother the fire."

"The ground here is paved over," Miko said, "and outside the base it's packed too hard. I dunno how you'd carry enough in before it's too late, anyway."

Sierra pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. Once it melts through, Miko might be able to survive long enough to get clear, but her dad's not wearing armor. If that molten metal gets all over him ...

"And if we try to blast through the pavement to get to the sand underneath," Arcee said, "hitting the ground too close to the tank could kill both of them, now that its armor has softened. And ... shit, it would take too long, anyway."

"I think I have an idea," Raf said. "Miko, can you tell if the side under you is burning? It's flat against the ground, so ..."

"Hold on." After a few seconds, Miko said, "It's not as hot as the rest. Maybe it didn't get spattered with as much of whatever that crap is."

"Good. Guys, grab something to lift the tank upright. I dunno, a piece of one of those blown-up planes, or something. See if you can use something to push it up. Then Miko can open the door and jump out with her dad. I hope."

"And that gives me an idea," Miko said as the nearby 'Bots ran off in search of a useable piece of debris. "Dad, get in front of me. When they flip us over, I'm gonna kick the door open and fire my thrusters. That should get us clear before we can be burned too badly. Just tuck your legs and head so you won't bump 'em on the doorway. I'll keep a tight grip on you."

"Are you sure you can hold on?"

"This armor's got servos that increase my strength. Yeah, it won't be a problem."

"Hurry," Camille and Roderick whispered at the same time. He reached out to clasp her hand and added, "Come on. Come on."

Optimus tried to slide a jet wing under the tank. The vehicle scooted back and its underside started to buckle. Elita ran up to it with a long pipe and pressed the end against the roof. She pushed gently, then increased the pressure once the roof held up. Optimus shoved the wing under the tank the instant the gap was wide enough. The roof bent inward and Elita yanked the pipe back before it could poke through.

"Miko, are you ready?" Optimus gripped the edge of the wing in both hands and waited for her reply.

"We're in position. Let 'er rip."

Come on. Sierra leaned forward and glanced over at the monitor showing the feed from Optimus's optics. He pried the vehicle up until it rolled onto its partially melted wheels. The underside buckled a little more, tilting the less-damaged side into a slight upward angle.

Natsumi sobbed and her whole body trembled.

The door burst open and Miko rocketed through, her arms clamped around her father, who had curled into a fetal position. They shot past Optimus and the image on the screen whipped around to track them, getting them centered just as they hit the pavement and skidded several more yards before finally stopping. Miko pushed herself up and leaned over her father.