Part 35

I was surprised to find Luke had put so much thought into our date. He'd brought me to a small café in Circular Quay that he said he frequented with his family at least once a month, even going to the trouble of having a specific table reserved for us, which was apparently no trouble, because he was such a regular. We'd caught the train into the city, and walked to the café from Central Station. I had been grateful then, that it was a nice day; the sun was out, but it wasn't too hot. 'I always forget how beautiful it is here,' I sighed. Luke reached across the table, taking my hand in his. We stayed quiet, and I realised Luke must have understood I needed the time to reflect. I was pulled from my thoughts with the arrival of our food, and it was then I acknowledged how hungry I was. We chatted like old friends over our meals, sharing stories and laughter. Luke insisted on paying the cheque, and before I had the opportunity to object, it was done and we were leaving the café, headed to the catch the ferry.

By the time we got to Luna Park, Luke had gone quiet. 'You okay?' I asked, squeezing his hand. When I received no answer, I tried again. 'Luke?'

'Wha- Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm fine,' he didn't seem it, so I stopped him.

'What's wrong?' I asked. 'You're all nervous again,' I pointed out. He sighed, knowing I wouldn't just let it go. We moved to a bench just by the entrance.

'I don't know,' he started. 'I just feel kind of... Stupid?' He started kicking his feet against the pavement. 'Like, don't get me wrong, I can't believe we're on a date, and I'm stoked about it.' He chuckled then, turning to the theme park. 'Who brings a girl to Luna Park when she lives in the state where five theme parks are within ten minutes of each other?' He wondered. I reached for his hand, and he turned back to me looking miserable.

'We don't have to go in if you'd rather make other plans,' I told him gently. 'I haven't been here in years, though,' I added, 'and frankly, I don't care what we do or where we go, I just want to be with you.'

'Me too,' Luke agreed, finally cheering up as he got to his feet. 'Shall we?' He asked, offering me his arm. I laughed, relieved he was feeling better, and let Luke lead the way.

Hours later, we'd laughed so much that my stomach hurt, had a caricature drawn, eaten far too much sugar, and been on all the rides. We were headed back towards the exit, and Luke stopped at a trailer for one of the carnival games – Ring Toss. I rolled my eyes but didn't stop him, and ten minutes later, he wandered over to the bench I'd found, handing me a stuffed penguin. I laughed as I reached for it, leaning up to kiss Luke's cheek as well. 'Thank you,' I grinned. 'I had a really lovely day,' I added. 'I really appreciate everything.' Luke eyed something I couldn't place, and took my hand, declaring that the day wasn't over yet. I was confused, but I let him take me wherever he wanted to go.

'The Ferris Wheel?' I asked, finally connecting the dots as we stood in front of the only ride we hadn't been on yet.

'The Ferris Wheel!' Luke exclaimed.

And so; we climbed carefully into a carriage, observing that we would be riding the Ferris Wheel by ourselves. Luke took a seat and gently pulled me down beside him, keeping a firm grip on my hand. We reached the top, looking out over the harbour, and the Wheel creaked slightly, before coming to a stop.

'So beautiful,' I breathed, taking in the scene in front of us. Luke's hand tightened on mine, and I turned to look at him.

'Not as beautiful as you, love,' Luke's eyes sparkled, even in the setting sun, and for the umpteenth time in just twenty-four hours, I found myself in awe of his beauty. Luke put his arm around me, and pulled me onto his lap. I rested my head against his chest, truly content for the first time in a long time. Luke shifted slightly, moving his free hand to my chin, and tilting my head, before leaning down to kiss me softly.