Chapter nine

When we got to Harry's, I helped him out and we walked into his house, silent. I shut the door behind him and he walked into the living room where his bed was. I walked to my room and kicked off my shoes and grabbed a sweatshirt. I turned around and saw Harry standing there staring at me.

"What?" I asked, slipping my sweatshirt on. He was staring at the floor.

"You can't just yell at fans like that." He said quietly. I let out an annoyed laugh.

"Seriously Harry?" I said, folding my arms. He didn't say anything.

"Whatever. It won't happen again." I said and I grabbed my phone and stared at it, hoping Harry would get the hint and leave, but he didn't.

"Wh-"

"You know what Harry. I think it's best if we just forget it and don't talk about it anymore." I said, more harshly than I intended.

"Why do you do this?" Harry said after a minute.

"I'm not doing anything." I argued.

"Bull."

"Harry, I'd really appreciate it if you would leave me alone now." I said, not looking at him.

"No. Not until you tell me what's going on? Are you mad at me? Did I do something? I don't understand why you are acting this way?"

"That's just the thing Harry. You don't understand. You don't understand anything about me. I didn't want to come here. I don't want to be the center of attention. I just want to be a normal girl who gets to do what other normal people do. I don't want my pictures in magazines and I don't want girls coming up to me telling me I'm not worth it." A sob shook through me. Harry took a step closer, but I put out a hand.

"Do you know how many homes I've been through?" I said, holding myself with my arms, as if that would keep me from falling apart. Harry didn't answer.

"Every house I went through was another reminder of how I was never good enough, or worth it." I said with a shaky breath. Harry stepped closer until my folded arms were touching his chest.

"You are worth it. You are amazing. So much more than you give yourself credit for." Harry whispered. I shook my head, but Harry's hand stopped me and raised my face up. He pressed his lips to mine which made me lose my breath for a second. I pulled away.

"I can't-"

"Why?" he muttered, his eyes still closed.

"Harry." I mumbled softly.

"You're right Catherine. I don't understand you at all, but I know one thing. You're afraid. You're afraid to let in people that actually care about you. You're afraid people will leave you, but the truth is you push them away." Harry said, making me take a step back. Tears fell from my face and I couldn't stop the shaking that was taking over my body.

"People don't just leave you to leave. They leave because you don't give them another choice." Harry said, turning away. He walked out and shut the door behind him. I fell down to the bed and hugged my knees to my chest. I sat there and cried for what seemed like forever. I knew I couldn't get involved because this is what happens. Harry was right. They were all right. I wasn't good enough for him. I rubbed my eyes and grabbed my phone. I dialed a number.

"This is Charles."

"I'll go on a date with you. Find me a replacement."

~~

I sat down at the table in the break room and sipped on my coffee. I stared up at the tv that was playing the news for the day.

"Hey Catherine." Lori said, sitting down next to me. She had the same look in her eye that she had the night I showed up at her place crying after I left Harry's. It was late, but she stayed up with me until I fell asleep. I really didn't deserve her. I smiled to acknowledge her.