The Second Prince

The journey to the main palace was long, and there are far too many people in the way. With all the politicians, scholars, servants and guardsmen, the flood of people is continuous that it took us longer to get there than it would have on a less busy day.

We walked to the main hallway, guardsmen posted every few yards, making it a lot more intimidating. They watched me and Bailing in silence as we walked along the long pathway like two lost children.

The guardsmen let us stroll passed them until we reached another hallway of this never-ending maze. It was a room filled with red doors and breathtaking interiors.

"Do you know where the third prince's office is?" I asked Bailing.

"How would I know? I've never been in this side of the palace before. I never had the reason to."

"But I thought you've been working here at the palace for years?"

"Can you imagine how big this place is? I never even knew this hallway existed."

I let out an exhausted sigh and walked over to the largest and most elegant rooms at the end of the hallway. They were separated and more guarded than the rest of the rooms, and I assumed this could be where the more important offices are located.

The offices were absent of symbols or characters, unlike the smaller offices back where we came from, which made it difficult to tell which room is which, much less locate the third prince's office at this point.

I strolled closer, meeting some of the guardsmen eyes who flickered their gaze away quickly, afraid to meet my eyes. None of them stopped or even bothered to ask who I am, and I had assumed they recognized the second prince's betrothed.

Bailing trailed behind me, her mouth open, lost as I am.

"You should've asked those guardsmen earlier to come to escort you out here."

"I know, I didn't think this place is going to be this big."

Then I spotted something that told me it could be the third prince's office since the clatter of swords and all kinds of weapons are spread all over the floor. I teetered around the mess, certain I was walking into the third prince's office when I knocked a tower of books that came tumbling down as soon as I cracked open the door.

"Oops!"

A strange man sitting on a desk shot to his feet, snarling at his unwelcome trespasser. I panicked as he rushed to the door and stopped a foot away from me.

"What the heck are you doing?" He hissed and I knew I should've knocked before I did anything.

"I'm sorry!" I stammered nervously, afraid of him already.

My eyes lifted the angry man with slim stature, he's dressed in elegant clothing, the same as third prince Julong would wear, except he didn't wear any heavy plating and armor on his chest. He was a lot smaller in built although towered about the same height.

He's a handsome man, not as breathtaking as the third prince, but he had that different charm about him that separated him from his brother.

No one had to tell me who he was, I knew immediately he was the second prince just by looking at him. He had the same eyes, the same jaws, the same lips as his older brother, the crown prince. They were like twins, a replica of each other, except, the second prince looked much younger than crown prince Yuan.

I never would have guessed the second prince looking more like the crown prince than the third prince.

He glared at me with irritation. "Come inside!" ...And I did. He pointed to the stack of books on the floor. "Pick them up and arrange them the way they're supposed to."

With trembling hands, I did what he asked quickly. Fret in the way I moved, picking up the books into my arms and lap one by one only for them to fall back on the floor over and over. I was a mess, upset, and it was obvious. This wasn't the kind of first meeting I dreamed of.

The second prince was mean, and he was irritable. He had no clue who I am which made me resent it even more.

He scowled as he watched me made mistakes after mistakes and after a while, he grew frustrated and bent over, picking the books himself.

"Forgive me, I didn't mean to snarl at you the way I did. I'm not used to being distracted. No one ever walks in my office unless they have my permission. I don't even know how the guardsmen let you in."

I wanted to say because unlike you, they recognized who I am. But I kept my mouth shut in fear of aggravating his anger.

His voice took a lot gentler tone, I imagined he must've realized how upset I was and felt bad about it.

I said nothing.

When we're done, I rose up to my feet, couldn't wait to get out of this room. This man was so impolite to me that I couldn't wait to get away from him.

"I apologize, your highness. I didn't mean to distract you in your private office." I stepped back getting ready to leave when a sliver of sunlight struck highlighting my face.

"Wait!" He murmured and I turned back to look at him.

"You're beautiful." He said breathlessly.

I would have blushed, but he was so mean and rude to me that his compliment lost its impact long ago.

"I need to go," I told him.

"Wait." A wave of panic rose in the tide of his voice. The prince was afraid to lose the girl who wandered by accident into his office. "What's your name, girl?" He asked quickly.

"Jasmine, my name is Jasmine, your highness."

"My Jasmine?" He murmured hopeful.

"Yes." My eyes dropped, unable to help every waking nerve beneath my skin. My heart pounded slowly.

"Hello, Jasmine. My name is Hoon." The prince said with a heartbreaking softness that made me forget all my sorrow and my resentment for him. "I am to be your husband."

I smiled, "and I am to be your wife."