16 장

"Now?"

"No."

A pause. "Now?"

I shook my head. Another pause. Then, finally, Wooyoung gave me the nod.

"Okay," I said, slowly. "Now."

Sehun leaned down over the ring bearer, a kindergartner named Vivi, saying, "Okay, dude. It's go time." He rubbed his shoulders like a boxer's trainer, about to send him into the ring. "You got this! Walk!"

I sighed as Vivi, in his tiny suit, carrying a white stain pillow with the two rings very loosely sewn on, started walking. In BRR, my mom reached into her front pocket from some Skittles.

One, two, three, four, five, six, I counted, then nodded at Sehun. He said something to the flower girls - both had buns and a coral bow attached - that made him giggle, then gave them the go-ahead. The older one began tossing rose petals carefully, as I'd demonstrated; the younger threw most of hers out in one clump. Well, you couldn't have everything.

"Oh my God, guys, I'm so nervous!" Jessica, the maid of honor, said loudly as the first bridesmaid and groomsman began their walk. My mom and Wooyoung had called her an SS - Spotlight Stealer - at the rehearsal dinner the night before, when her speech stretched to twenty minutes, only ending with her happy tears, reportedly much to the bride's obvious annoyance. Weddings were like truth serum, or so my mom said. Whatever your personality, it would come out in spades. "Does anyone have gum?" Jessica said. "I'm serious. I need some gum!"

I was reaching into my pocket for one when Sehun beat me to it, stepping back beside her as the next couple from the party began walking. "The flavor is cool ice," he told her, holding out the packet. "I find it both surprising and refreshing."

"Oh, thank you." Jessica helped herself to one, popping it into her mouth, then smoothed her hair. "Do I look okay? I'm a wreck!"

The groomsman she'd been partnered with rolled his eyes. Tall and stubby with a red face, he had a whiny wife, plus two small children who'd been running around. I'd seen him taking multiple gulps from a flask during lineup, either thinking no one would notice or just not caring. There were lives you envied, I guess, and those you didn't.

"You're stunning," Sehun told her as I walked back to where the bride, Tiffany, was standing with her father, blinking rapidly as she looked ahead at the packed church.

"Excited?" I asked her, the word we used instead of nervous. She nodded, blinking again. "You're going to do great. Remember, it's supposed to be fun!" I saw her face relax, slightly - I'd take what I could get - and then Jessica's voice drifted us back. "Omo, I'm next! I'm a total wreck! Does anyone have a tissue?"

Tiffany tensed right back up, a full body clench. Her father glared. Sehun, oblivious, gave Jessica a tissue.

I stared ahead, into the church. In the back row, my mom was looking right at the bride. I had no doubt that even from a distance she was following this entire exchange solely on body language and expressions. By the time she turned her attention to me, I was already near Tiffany, cupping a hand on her elbow.

"You look gorgeous," I told her. She and her father were the only ones left now, Jessica and her groomsman halfway down the aisle. "And remember, this is your day."

"I'm going to kill her tomorrow," she said through gritted teeth. Her lipstick perfect.

"And not a soul will blame you," I replied smoothly. "Ready to get married?"

She sucked in a deep breath as I bent down, fluffing out the beaded train of her white, full-skirted dress one last time. When I stood, I saw Jessica up at the front of the church, dramatically dabbing her eyes as the photographer, oblivious, moved in for the candid shot. As the music began again, Wooyoung, smooth like a snake, moved in to say something to Jessica. Then everyone stood, blocking my view.