Chapter Two

Ten years later Kate and Allison grew up to be two beautiful young women. Allison had a job showing exhibits in a local museum and Kate was still in school. That fateful night remained a permanent part of Kate's mind but she tried not to think about it. On that cold night both sisters thought they would have been waiting there forever. That was until a woman in her late forties was looking for her missing dog near that same lake. She stumbled across Allison and Kate holding each other for dear life with tears streaming down their cheeks. The kind woman took them in out of the goodness of her heart and raised them as if they were her own. To this day they still live with her. Her name was Margaret Moon, a sweet lady who was obsessed with writing stories, she would read to Kate when she was a little girl, but it was never as good as when her father used to read to her. 

Kate was sitting on the stool in the kitchen stuffing her face with cereal. She was staring blankly out the window opposite her and daydreaming. She did that every morning whilst she waited for her best friend to come and pick her up in his midnight blue BMW.

Allison stormed into the kitchen searching frantically for her keys. She lifted up the fruit which was sitting in the fruit bowel and was huffing and puffing the longer it took to find them. Kate watched her sister lose her temper over something as insignificant as lost keys and rolled her charcoal eyes at her sister. Allison gripped onto her short brunette hair and analysed the kitchen and was wondering where she could have placed them. She looked very smart today, like she did every other day. She was dressed a grey pants suite without a single crease across the whole outfit.

Kate grew tired of watching her sister get frustrated over lost keys. She let out a long sigh and pointed to the sink. "Your keys are over there." she said in a low tone.

Allison's gaze followed Kate's finger and she picked up her keys. Without a thank you Allison left the kitchen and walked out of the house leaving the door to slam shut behind her. Kate flinched at the sound and resumed her positions of day dreaming out the window. She often thought of how different her life would be if her parents were alive. Would her and Allison have a closer sister relationship? Would she spend every day being happy instead of having to search for things to make her smile?

Margaret entered the kitchen rubbing her dark green eyes. She let out a long yawn and turned on the kettle to make her regular cup of coffee. She wouldn't be able to get through the day without it. She worked at a convenience store and had to serve mostly rude people and without her coffee she would lose her job by snapping at them.

"Good morning, Katie." Margaret poured the coffee into her pink mug and took a long sip. She seemed more relaxed with a bit of caffeine in her system.

"Kate," she corrected her. "And good morning." 

"Is Max picking you up today?" she sounded more chirpy. 

Kate nodded her head and took another spoonful of her cereal. "Like he does every morning." she said with her mouth full.

"You should stop with the attitude, it really doesn't suite you, sweetie." She checked her appearance in the reflection of a spoon and when satisfied she locked her gaze to Kate's. "I do wish you and Allison would get along.It is rather dull sitting in silence when we eat together."

"That isn't my fault," Kate huffed and looked down at her empty cereal bowel. She really didn't want this conversation with Margaret at eight thirty in the morning. She was barley concentrating when eating her cereal. 

"I never said it was anyone's fault," she said slowly as she took a sip of her coffee. Her silver hair was pulled back into a tight bun at the back of her head. Her dark blue eyes looked fed up with trying to make the peace between two sisters that was possibly lost years ago.