Chapter Five: Final Moments

She hears a knock on the front door upstairs. The person is here. Something is going to happen, and she fears it with every fiber in her being. She panics and tries to call the police as the knocking, which has turned to pounding, gets louder and more frequent. Instead of getting connected to an officer, she's connected to the man upstairs.

"You can't call for help. Why would you want to get away from me?! I'm not going to hurt you!" She hangs up, but she gets another call as the pounding continues.

"Why won't you answer the door?!"

"Go to hell!" She yells as tears brim in her eyes.

"Don't you use that tone with me!" He warns before hanging up. The pounding on the door becomes harsher, and her heart pounds heavy against her chest.

The door finally opens and then closes. She can hear footsteps moving around upstairs. They go all over the place and then up to the second floor. She quickly silences her phone and laptop, having a feeling that he's going to call again, which he soon does.

"Where are you?" He's aggravated, "I know you're here."

"What do you want? Please just tell me!"

"I must have you. And I will get you." Dead line. The footsteps come downstairs, and then stops outside the basement door. Knocking... Tapping... Pounding on the door.

"I know you're down here, Megan." He opens the door and comes down. Frozen in fear, she silently curses herself for not locking the door.

A shaft of light shines through the darkness, and a small circle is glowing on whatever objects the light lands on. He's looking for her. She won't be able to hide forever. The phone rings, but it's on silent. She doesn't answer. She can hear him anyways.

"Ah, so you are down here. You won't answer because I'll know where you are. Well, there are not many places for you to hide. I'll find you." Megan's breathing hitches in her throat. He knows she's here.

Footsteps travel around the room. He comes closer, "You must be over here. I haven't found you yet, and you haven't gotten away." Maybe the basement wasn't so safe, after all.

His footsteps stop in front of the desk. She can see a shift in the darkness; it's somehow darker in front of her. He's standing there. His light shines under the desk and onto Megan's side.

"Ah, there you are, love. I was starting to worry that you'd gotten out." The lights flicker on. "Oh, what lucky timing." He pulls the chair back and crouches down, looking at her. She can finally see the monster that's been tormenting her. Blonde hair but brown roots that's pushed back, green, evil, yet blank eyes, permanent smirk and a large grin that's plastered on his face. He knows what he's doing.

"I'm not gonna hurt you. Come out here." He stands and backs away from the desk. Slowly and shakily, she crawls out from under the desk and stands up to face him, though he was an entire forehead taller than her. His grin only grew more frightening as his gaze traveled up and down her body. He seemed to realize that she was frightened, and told her:

"It's alright. Don't be afraid. I'd never hurt you."

"W-what do you want, then? I don't even know you." She's too afraid to get angry with him.

"Yes you do! Don't you remember me, Megan? I loved you. I still do. Didn't you love me, Megan?"

"I-I don't know!"

"Yes you do!" He's growing angry. The raising of his voice scares her, and she cringes in fear. A sad expression takes over his face.

"I am so sorry, love. Please don't be upset with me." He pulls her into a hug and forces her head against his chest. In fear for his safety because of his apparent metal state, she wraps her arms around him in return, keeping her head against his chest by choice. She'd only ever been held like this once by someone she'd not seen in years.

"N-niall?" She mumbles, looking up at him. The blank stare behind his gaze was now not evil, but still not comforting. It was lustful and excited.

"Yes, love?"

"I remember you... You were my neighbor. Your house was burned down and your entire family was in it..." A frown quickly replaces his smirk, and the happiness in his gaze clouds over with uneasiness and annoyance.

"I didn't do it." Pulling back from the awkward hug, she agrees.

"You're right, Niall... You didn't do it. It was an accident."

"I didn't do it." He repeats, more desperate this time.

"I know, Niall. The oven caught fire, it was your fault." Nothing. He just stares at her.

"I did it." This makes her freeze.

"What? But y-you said you didn't do it."

"I didn't do it to them. I did it to us."

"What are you talking about?" Suddenly her face pales as she realizes what he's saying. She feels the room heating up and she can smell it burning. Crackling. Popping. Falling. Crashing. Her house was on fire. He was killing them both.

"What did you do?!" She gets panicked, knowing she's going to die in the arms of someone she doesn't truly know.

"We're together again. You and I. Our team. It took me a long time to find you and now, I finally did. I'm not losing you again. We're going to be together. Forever." The room above the opposite half of the basement caved in, all of it crashing down into the basement. She was pulled into his arms once again, but she could still see what was happening around her.

Flames lapped back and forth, lighting the basement on fire as well as the rest of the house above her. She couldn't escape, even if she tried to.

The rest of the house collapsed as well, and so did her lungs as she and Niall were crushed under the weight of the house above them.