One~Jackie

Shay's POV

Every day at six thirty AM, Jackie wakes up needing a diaper changed. She will start to cry, waking both of my dads up.

"Hold on, Jack! Give me a second!" I said as I grabbed a new diaper and the rash cream. I changed her diaper then decided to feed her. I have been breastfeeding her, so I sit down in a chair and we do our business. Once she's done, I walk out into the living room as I burp her.

"Hey, Shay!" My Daddy said. (Shane is Daddy and Ryland is Dad.) I smile back at him.

"Hey, Daddy. You couldn't sleep?"

"No, your father would not stop tossing and turning. So here I am, watching TV." Daddy gets up. "And how's my little granddaughter?" Daddy took her out of my hands. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a cup of coffee.

"So, you and dad have anything planned soon?" I asked as I sat on the couch.

"No, not really, because, you know." Daddy looked down. "I-I don't get it. How can he get so bad so fast?" We both look up when we see Dad walking down the stairs.

"Good morning, Shane! Hello miss Shay!" Dad said playing with Jackie's hands.

"Ry.. This is our granddaughter, that young woman is Shay." Dad looked over to me, scrunching his face.

"She doesn't look like Shay." Daddy sighed.

"Because you remember her as a baby. Ryland, you have Dementia. I have to tell you this several times a day.

"I don't understand.." Daddy sighed again as he handed me Jackie.

"Shay, how about you go out with Jackie? I need some time alone with your father." I get up and walk back to the room I share with my daughter. I place her onto my baby pillow laying on my bed. I grab my ukulele and decide to sing her a song.

She held the world upon a string
But she didn't ever hold me
Spun the stars on her fingernails
But it never made her happy
Cause she couldn't ever have me
She said she won the world at a carnival
But she could never win me
Cause she couldn't ever catch me

I, I know why
Because when I look in her eyes
I just see the sky
When I look in her eyes
Well I, just see the sky

I don't love you I'm just passing the time
You could love me if I knew how to lie
But who could love me?
I am out of my mind
Throwing a line out to sea
To see if I can catch a dream

The sun was always in her eyes

She didn't even see me
But that girl had so much love
She'd wanna kiss you all the time
Yeah, she'd wanna kiss you all the time

She said she won the world at a carnival
But I'm sure I didn't ruin her
Just made her more interesting
I'm sure I didn't ruin her
Just made her more interesting

I don't love you I'm just passing the time
You could love me if I knew how to lie
But who could love me?
I am out of my mind
Throwing a line out to sea
To see if I can catch a dream

I sigh again as I start to think of Rylee. He would be eight. My baby brother would be eight. He would probably look more like Daddy now. His curly, red hair would probably be past his shoulders because Rylee never wanted to cut his hair.

"I'm sorry, baby. How about we try to take a nap, shall we?"