Chapter One

"Ahhhhhh!" I screamed as I woke up.

I was panting so hard I could barely breathe and I was sweating like a pig.

"Must've been another nightmare." I mumbled to myself.

Basically, I'm an insomniac. I can't sleep. Every night I'll wake up at exactly midnight, from a nightmare that I can never remember, panting and sweating.

I've never had a history of imsomnia, not until the day I saw that man.

---

I was driving home from the market late one night, and I had just pulled into the driveway when I saw someone out of the corner of my eye.

I wasn't able to get a perfect look at him, considering he was some distance away, and his face was hidden away in the shadows, but I could make out the rest of his body that was illuminated under the street light.

He seemed masculine in appearance, with a white, long sleeved shirt, a black pair of skinny jeans, and a pair of black Vans.

I didn't know who he was or what he was doing there but I was instantly frightened. I didn't dare look at him so I just looked straight ahead, frozen with fear.

Minutes later, I looked back at where I saw that man standing moments before, and saw that he wasn't standing there anymore.

"Well that's weird." I thought to myself.

I put the thought aside, saying to myself that it must have been my mind playing tricks on me. Yet there was still a feeling of unease.

---

Once I snapped back into reality, I took a look at my surroundings.

The room was thrown into darkness but I was able to make out certain objects around the room, due to the dim moonlight coming through my window. In front of me, there was a wide dresser with a televison on it, and on the left wall, near the corner, there was a wardrobe with a window to the left of it. On both ends of my bed there were end tables, one with a lamp, and the other with a half empty galss of water. And on the right side of my room, there was a vanity sitting against the wall.

I pulled back the covers, and stepped out of my bed. As I was walking past the window, I saw something out of the corner of my eye.

For a moment, I stood there, wondering if I should look out the window.

My curiosity got the best of me and I turned slightly towards the window, and stared out into the night.

But what I saw almost made me drop dead on the floor, then and there.

It was him.

He was standing there, just standing there, under the same street light that I had seen him standing under exactly one year ago.

He didn't look any different. Same shirt, same pants, same shoes, and still no face.

But there was one thing, one thing that was different from last time.

He was holding something in his hand, something that glistened in the moonlight, something that seemed as if it was metallic.

A million thoughts ran through my head as I turned around and ran to my bed, checking under my pillow.

"Thank god!" I said with a sigh of relief, half expecting it to be gone.

I still had my combat knife tucked safely under my pillow, just in case I needed it. And now, I knew I really needed it.

I took it out from under my pillow, and held it with the blade facing the opposite direction, the way I had been taught by my brother.

"My brother." I thought to myself

If only he were here now.

I then came back to the reality that there was a man outside of my window, probably wanting to kill me.

I went back to the window, and saw that he wasn't there anymore!

"Oh my god!" I said, maybe a little too loudly.

But right at that moment, I heard my bedroom door, slowly creak open.