Hats Off for the Lady

Hey evryone =) I hope you like this chapter.....you will learn a bit more in this one...i hope anyway.....Dedicated to Shannon...my bestie...for writing such a great fanfic......to Sharna....just for being awesome! and to my shower......who gave me inspiration to this chapter while I was daydreaming and using up all the hot water=)

hope you enjoy......xxxxxx

-Catherine Grace

*****************************************************************************

Chapter Three

When Xander came again, the sun was sitting on the edge of the earth. The evening temperature was seeping into my bones, gooseflesh rising on my skin. Xander carried a small bowl in his left hand as he walked steadily towards me. His brown shaggy hair bouncing around his chin and tanned skin glowing in the sunset.

"Are you going to eat or am I going to have to force it down your throat?" he asked crouching down in front of me. I look at the purple berries in the bowl, a tiny little ant like insect crawled out from a crack in between the berries.

"No, I am not going to eat, and you are not going to force me because if you knew anything about berries, you would know that those ones are highly poisonous. One bite of them would have me sick immediately, high temperature, cold sweat, vomiting, hallucinating and much more. And there isn't any antidote so I would be dead within a few days," I tell him, staring straight into his eyes. He cocks an eyebrow.

"How exactly do you know this?" I can very much tell that he doesn't believe me.

"I know this because of that little insect that just crawled out of the bowl. Back at the village, we called them Skrudzè. You only get them in this part of the country," I tell him, not trying to hide the dislike in my tone.

"Why do you call them Skrudzè?" he asks, staring thoughtfully into the bowl.

"You really expect me to know that?" I ask him, irritation rising in my voice.

"Well you seem to know everything else about them, did you study the environment or are you just a natural genius?"He said, lifting his head to stare at me with intense eyes.

"I'm too young to study anywhere, I just pay a lot of attention to what people say, very close attention." My tone makes it sound like a threat.

"Really? Well then tell me why, the insects can eat the berries?" Xander really wanted to know a lot about all this. I wonder why.

"They don't eat the berries, but they are immune to the toxins in the berries. So they take them back to their nests and leave them there, waiting for other insects to come along and eat the berries. They kill us in days, insects in minutes and that leaves dinner for the Skrudzè."

"Oh," He looks deep in thought.

"Why don't you just give me the food that you and your soldiers are eating?" I ask.

"Because some stupid, rabid animal got in to our food supply and there is only enough food left for them and me until we get to the nearest town," he says looking honestly annoyed.

"Right and one person is going to make a difference?"

"Be happy with what you got girl! You should be ecstatic that I haven't killed you yet," He tells me grabbing my jaw.

"Why haven't you killed me yet?" I wince as he tightens his grip.

"Because I have direct orders from the leader to not hurt you," he tells me.

"Why doesn't he want me hurt? Does he want to draw out my death? Torture me? Use me as a slave? Kill me himself?" I snarl at him and the pressure on my jaw tightens, pain shooting up the sides of my skull, I was very worried that he was going to crush it.