Chapter 3

Talia opened up her laptop at the gazebo overlooking the pool in her backyard. Mrs Wilson had kicked her out of the house saying she needed more sun and fresh air but not before making sure she was wrapped up in a sweater and long pants because of the cold weather they were having. Talia was pretty certain that defeated most of the purpose for going outside but she didn't bother to argue.

Ted Lawson: Find anything for me yet?

Jigsaw: All these extra camera feeds are going to cost you.

Ted Lawson: When hasn't it?

Jigsaw: ...

Jigsaw: ...

Jigsaw: ...

Ted Lawson: I need the info now, Jigsaw.

Jigsaw: I'm working on it. My fingers aren't made of magic.

Jigsaw: ...

Jigsaw: Got it.

The videos came up.

Ted Lawson: Anyway you could narrow this down for me?

Jigsaw: You'll have to pay me extra.

Ted Lawson: Just do it.

Jigsaw: Already done.

Talia rolled her eyes.

Three videos came up.

Jigsaw: The thief was good. The camera barely caught anything.

Ted Lawson: What's that reflection?

On the second video near the street corner was a flash of light near where the thief's face was.

Ted Lawson: He wears glasses.

Jigsaw: Looks more like goggles to me.

Ted Lawson: But not night-vision ones. The reflection is wrong. It could be regular work glasses but I doubt that. He wouldn't need those for the job. He didn't break anything and the wind isn't strong enough to require them. Therefore, our thief wears glasses. Did you find him on anything else?

Jigsaw: Not yet but I'm still looking.

Ted Lawson: Make sure to check the other street cameras and see if you can get the cameras inside the building. I know it will cost me extra. Just do it. I'm working on a deadline here.

Jigsaw: Give me a few hours.

She brought up the pictures of the high-rise building. The Taylors lived on the twenty-fifth floor. She'd already ruled out the fire escape and jumping across and climbing up the building, mostly. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened but she was still certain that person had been part monkey.

Ted Lawson: Keep looking and let me know if you find anything else.

Jigsaw: Roger that. Jigsaw out.

Talia's phone rang. It was Dominic Hudson, her father.

"You're calling early today," she said.

"More like late. So," she heard him recline on a chair, "anything interesting happen today?"

"I learnt that Mom's name is scarier than I first thought," Talia said. Juniper dropped a ball into her lap.

Her father laughed. "No surprise there. Anything else?"

"Yeah. That I really hating bullying."

"Is someone harassing you in school? This is exactly what I was afr—"

"Not me, Dad," Talia said. "Someone else."

"Have you told the teachers?" he asked.

"No but everyone knows what happens. Today they broke his camera and ripped his notebooks. Randall threw his camera at him and if he hadn't ducked in time, it would have smashed his face," she said. Juniper dropped her rope toy into her lap.

"That sounds serious."

"Yeah and he says that if he tries to fight back he'll suffer for it in more ways than one. I'm not sure what that means."

"Doesn't he have any friends? It's easier to pick on someone when they have no backup."

"I've never seen him with anyone before," Talia said. Juniper dropped her Frisbee on her lap as well.

"Hmm." Her father didn't say anything for a moment. "My best advice would be to tell him to switch schools."

Talia leaned back. "But the kids from the other schools harass him as well." Juniper pulled at her leg. Talia pushed her away.

"Then homeschool. Homeschooling can be very rewarding and—"

"I'm not dropping out of school, Dad."

He huffed. "Well, I had to try. I still think that might be the best option. There are other good schools in Warcaster."

"I still don't think that would work. He might have to leave the city."

Dominic sighed. "An elite private school with pedigree children and still bullying exists. I'm positive humans have stopped evolving."

"I've been telling you that for years."

He laughed. "Anyway, I'm exhausted. We'll talk more tomorrow. Let me know what happens with that kid. Stay out of it if you can. Your mother might have an idea about what to do."

"I'm not sure I need to pull out the big guns yet. The Principal still hasn't recovered from when they were trying to tell me not to bring Juniper to school anymore."

"All the more reason to tell her. Later, pumpkin."

"Good night, Dad."

Juniper put her two front paws on Talia's knees and stood so close their noses were touching. She panted and licked Talia's face.

Talia pushed her away and laughed. "Okay. Okay. I'll play with you." She closed her laptop and grabbed the ball. Juniper went crazy and ran around in circles for a few minutes then stopped and waited for Talia to throw the ball.

Talia thought back to the case as she let the ball fly and Juniper ran to get it. Why would Rogers want the will? That made no sense. As far as she knew, the will would have nothing to do with the company since all of that would be taken care of in whatever partnership agreement he had with Richard. She would have to ask her mother more about that in the morning.