Chapter 2

"We move out at sunrise. We should arrive at the castle come nightfall." Alex informs the large group of vampires in front of us.

The group has more than quadrupled in the past few days with every person ready and willing. Not one face looks blank or unsure as they receive their orders. They are all ready.

"Now is your last chance if you want out. I won't force anyone to fight for me." Alex states as we both look around the crowded room expecting a few worried faces but find none.

"Let's take the fucker down!" One vampire calls from the crowd as the room erupts into cheers.

It is clear that no one is backing down or leaving today.

"Ok then. Well, are there any questions before we start loading up?" Alex asks the supportive crowd.

"I have a question." A deep baritone voice sounds through the crowd forcing heads to turn his way.

Everyone is struggling to find where the voice came from, even Alex and I struggle from our elevated stage that we stand united on.

"And what is your question?" I ask still searching for the face that matches the voice.

Suddenly I notice movement through the mass of people as vampires begin parting to let someone through to the front of the crowd. Closer toward Alex and I.

"Can anyone join your militia here or are you no longer accepting conscripts?"

Finally, the face in the crowd comes into view and I feel a smirk grow on my lips. Standing before us is Leif along with his white wolf, Odin.

To say that both Alex and I are surprised to see him would be an understatement. He is surely the last person I expected to offer support here today. Especially given the nature of his affections towards Alex.

"If you are willing to stand with us against Cail then you are more than welcome." Alex extends his offer as Leif smiles on approvingly.

His hair has been left to hang around his shoulders as they remain covered by a large fur cloak that he no doubt, made himself. He looks broad and menacing with his oversized frame and pale hair and features. His gaze never faltering and never giving away what he is thinking.

"Well, I am here to stand with you, Aodhan. But I do hope that it's ok that I bought someone along."

Our eyes collectively follow behind Leif where another figure is stepping closer toward the stage. The figure is covered by a large black cloak with a hood obstructing the view of their face. The figure is slimmer than Leif and not as tall but still holds a sense of importance.

When the figure is standing directly beside Leif, they finally remove the forboding hood to reveal a head of long golden locks that spiral down.

Her face is familiar straight away and I have to hide my shocked expression even though Alex does not. He was definitely not expecting to see this face amongst the crowd.

"Hello, Aodhan." The velvet soft voice sounds as whispers of confusion echo around us.

"Hello, Sabina."

The whispers grow louder and a few gasps sound as every vampire here has obviously heard the name Sabina before. Whether they know this woman for being Cail and Alex's maker or in some other way is unsure but they all know her none the less.

"It seems that you have quite a lot of support my son." Her voice is hypnotic and is just as beautiful as she is.

Her golden hair shines even in the dull light and is second only to her golden orbs. They sit perfectly positioned on her face surrounded by thick lashes as they see right through everyone in this room. Her lips are full and slightly pouted as she surveys those around her, assessing their worth before letting her gaze rest solely on me.