Chapter Five

“Why has this attack been allowed to go on so long if we know what our enemy is?” General Portid asked.

“Because,” Councillor Harken said, his voice growing heated, “it would be a terrible mistake to act rashly against an entity so powerful. In order to defeat them, we had hoped we could first understand them. If we mobilize the Imperial First Class and fly straight to the Twin Cities like an unorganized horde, it’s possible the entire Imperial Army could be overrun. Look what happened to Von Krass when he blindly engaged the individual Felix. They are powerful on a scale that we do not yet fully understand. We can’t risk underestimating them.”

An ominous silence permeated the War Hall as a pale, cheerless dawn passed through the windows and cast the faces of the councillors in pallid gray light. If the Felixes did indeed harbor inborn strength rivaling that of the Royal families, Councillor Harken’s words were accurate.

After a long moment, General Portid rose and turned to his second-in-command, who stood at attention behind his chair. “My regiment moves out immediately. Send word to our ranks. They should prepare for battle. This is open war.”

“You will hold that command until this Council has decided upon a course of action!” Emperor Faris thundered.

“My lord.” General Portid lowered his eyes and bowed. Although older in age, the Epsilon Emperor’s physical prowess still commanded subservience. He was a god among gods. “Of course, we will follow whatever path you deem appropriate. Forgive my outburst.”

“Forgiven.” Emperor Faris turned to Councillor Harken. “What do we know about these Felixes? If indeed we know anything?”

“We can say with certainty that they are as powerful as even the most powerful Primus, as evidenced in the assault upon that poor assistant and Von Krass. The Felixes are as complex as a living system; they are no archaic machines. They are every bit as intricate as living beings.”

The implications of Harken’s statement were frightening. An enemy that could manhandle Von Krass as though he were no threat at all, and there were four of them. The reality of their situation, the gravity, began to seep in.

Councillor Harken sighed nervously. “We have to act now, and act appropriately.”

“I agree.” Emperor Faris summoned one of the members of his Royal Guard to his side. “Have we received any update from the Twin Cities?”

The huge man bowed deeply, his voice baritone. “None, sir. We’ve received no contact for the past few hours.”

“What is this madness?” Emperor Faris muttered.

“One thing remains unclear to me. I don’t understand the Felix aggression. What reason would the machines have to be so very violent? Why would their first action be to murder and destroy?” General Portid asked.

Councillor Harken shook his head. “That’s what we are most confused about. We . . . we don’t know.”

“If a chance to somehow reason with them arises, we will certainly take it. But in the meantime we must focus on our own defense. It’s time for action,” Emperor Faris said in a falsely confident tone. Fear was emerging on the faces around him, and he could not allow that to transform into panic—fear among the leadership would trickle down through the ranks.

“I for one have been longing for a good fight for years now,” General Portid said with a dry smile.

“Couldn’t have put it better myself,” Emperor Faris said, embracing his general’s courage with admiration. Portid was a true Sejero soldier. “We must mo—”

A sudden earsplitting eruption emanated outside the palace in the sprawling city of Sejeroreich. The stone floor of the War Hall heaved violently as the palace lurched, and all of the councillors looked up with startled expressions.