Chapter Nine

Paige's POV

Maddie and I cautiously walked around, looking for Brayden.

We gathered a jug of water and put some berries in our bags. We wanted to find him while it was still light outside so we moved quickly.

I'm guessing we were both hoping the same thing; Brayden kills one of us so we don't have to kill each other.

"I think he's close." I said. "I can-" I was cut off by brayden jumping out in front of us.

"Hello." He smiled. He had an axe in one hand and a sword in another.

Maddie took out two of her knives and stood there. I moved my hand around until it stumbled across my spear.

"I think I'll kill you with my sword, since your little boyfriend died of the same thing." He smirked as he pointed to me.

"Shut up, you dick." I snapped.

"And I think I'll kill you with my axe." He said pointing at Maddie.

"Yeah, well, you're going to have to go through me before you touch her." I smirked.

He dropped his axe and ran at me with his sword. I easily dodged it and plunged my spear into his leg.

"Good one." He grinned.

I stabbed him again in the stomach and he dropped to his knees. He picked up his sword and put it through my bad shoulder, making me scream and fall. He jumped on top of me and raised up his sword.

I closed my eyes, waiting for the pain, waiting for it to be over. But the sword never came. I opened my eyes and I saw Brayden falling forward. I grabbed him and pushed him off of me.

I got up and noticed he had an axe in his head.

"Thanks, Maddie."

She nodded. We were both nervous. We both knew what was coming next