The Conversation

Hello?”,David was trying to stay calm.

“You’ll probably be wondering how I got this video or what I’ll do with it.” ,said a man’s  deep,husky voice. “ Don’t worry Dave, I assure you that this video will be non-existent as soon as our conversation is over.All I wanted to do is to give you an initial scare!”

“But who are you? What do you want from me?”

“Every veridict comes at a price,doesn’t it Dave?”

“W-what do you mean? I don’t understand.” ,David asked,puzzled

“ 13th May 2002. A  Senior Inspector submits a report,to the court,on your ties with the Russian Mafia.Seven days later, the Inspector is charged with false accusations of corruption and money-laundering. Not only does the man lose his job,he is sent to prison for 7 years.And that report was never accepted. Does that ring any bells,Dave?”

David was starting to remember.He had received information about an ambitious policeman sticking his nose into David’s business matters.David had not liked it. He had threatened the guy several times,but the inspector would not withdrawn the report.David could have had killed the him,but that would have had raised a lot of questions. So,he had contacted his old friend- the Home Minister.  Then,it had only been a matter of   time. Of course, David had transfered  a good sum into the Minister’s personal bank-account. A week later, David had been informed about the inspector’s 7 years’ imprisonment.

Thomas Gage. I even remember his name. David thought

 “ Don’t  you remember his name,Dave?” ,asked the man ,as if reading David’s mind.

“Why are you asking me? What do I  have to do with all this?” ,David asked pretentiously.

The man on the other side of the line laughed.

“ C’mon ,Dave.The man was innocent. He was devoted to his job, his country. We both know that.”, the caller said. “ And you sent him to prison?”

How did the caller know so much.

Suddenly, a horrifying thought struck David’s mind.

Could it be?

“W-who are you?” ,David asked ,almost in a whisper.

There was a long pause.Finally,the man spoke.

“Thomas Gage.”

For a moment,David’s heart  stopped.He was incredulous;however,it all made sense.

Gage’s time in jail is over.

“ It has been a long time.”

“L-look Gage, we can talk.” , David said.The anxiety in his voice was ill-concealed.

“No we can’t. We won’t!” ,replied Gage.’

“Gage,you are probably forgetting who I am! I can give you anything you want! Any-’’

“Really,Dave?” ,Gage was screaming, “ I want my job, my wife,my son, my family back! I want back my peaceful life! Give them to me! ”

“Fine. Just give me some time.!” David assured. “You’ll get everything back!”

Gage laughed.

“You don’t understand, do you?  You finally will.”

“Gage, you don’t make sense!” .David said in exasperation. “ You’re drunk.”

“ Everything will make sense,Dave.”,Gage stated. “Your money saved you many times from the punishments you deserved. But this time,only my mercy can save you.”

“What are you talking-”

But the line went dead.

David collapsed in his chair.He was worried. Gage was not eager to negotiate. He was a brave man-he had always been.David could not figure what Gage was going to do. But he was having a wierd feeling that Gage had meant everything he had said.

 “I’ll have to offer him something big.” David tried to console himself. “ Money talks. He will come around.”.

Nonetheless, he was not very sure.

 ................................................................................................

Only a few miles away from David Kazan’s office, Thomas Gage walked out of the phone-booth.Outside, a lonely figure stood waiting.He walked up towards her,smiling.

“So, how did it go?” ,the girl asked.

“ He is scared already! I guess,we overestimated him.”

They both laughed.

“Let’s go home.” ,said the girl. “You need to rest. Tomorrow is another big day.”

The two got in a black Audi ,which soon sped away into the night.