Chapter Four: The Two Face

Chapter Four: The two-Face

Mint was everything. She was everything I want to be. These were the thoughts that conquered my mind as I waited in the parking lot of Ralph Lauren, waiting for Spencer who was talking to someone in his phone. But I don’t care about that right now; my mind was jumbled, in a mess.

The runway a while ago had been a success and after my job there was done, Jake drove me to Ralph Lauren with a quite ride. I didn’t mind; I loved the silence. What rattled me was Spencer. Out of the blue, thirty minutes before the end of session in Ralph Lauren, he called and invited me to dinner, a celebration of sorts, he said.

Of course, I wasn’t expecting that. But when he came with his dashing car in one of the suits he wore in the runway, I wished I had worn something better. Inwardly, I sighed. And now he’s talking to someone else and with that smile on his face because I couldn’t be Mint. Great. Just great, Iris. Maybe you’ll just lose your own game, after all.

“Yeah. Next time then.” He finally bid and my mind panicked. Thoughts were flying here and there and I knew my composure was gone; I will totally act an idiot.

It’s not like I haven’t been invited to dinner. In fact, I had been to tons of them but this was the first time that I will actually go to them with just…uh, the two of us. I have been to dates too but formal dinners were just way too different and so I never did it with my two ex-boyfriends. But this… and just out of the blue, too.

Spencer turned to me, hands on pocket with a smile, “Shall we go?” I blanched; my heart was thumping so loud against my chest. His smile, somehow, felt different from the many grins I have seen. Words can’t explain what it’s like but all I know was that the Spencer in front of me isn’t the same one who I officially met just, what, three days ago?

“Iris?” He spoke that mature look that spoke his true age.

Finally, I smiled and regained my composure, “You’re acting like your age,” I turned to my left, effectively hiding the blush with my long locks.

He blinked, “Like my age? You mean eighteen?”

At that answer, I turned to him sharply with a confused look. Eighteen, he couldn’t be; I’m already nineteen. “You’re…” I trailed off, still stunned. He nodded and it seems like he realized what I was hinting at. He blinked at me before a smile appeared on my face and he tousled my hair.

“Come on. Dinner won’t wait forever.” And he opened the door for me with that smile still on. “Don’t let it bother you. Mint thought I was four years older.”

He chuckled but somehow that bothered me more. Something told me he was still pretty much in-love of the girl and that thought somehow makes me silent every time they came to mind. But with the three day span, it’ll be only a few times.

Three days. It had only been three days and yet, I’m already acting like a love struck idiot. I don’t love him, I know, but with him, knowing him just for that span of times makes it feels like you’ve been with him for years. I wasn’t a really open person so it was a miracle he made me open up this much, me being his pretend girl and all.

“So, how’s Ralph Lauren? Jakey said you love it.” He spoke and I turned to him.

I stared for a while but shrugged and turned to the window, letting myself comfortable in his seductive Aston Martin DB9 before I gave a reply. “It’s really nice. Ms. Carol and the rest of the designing team are all nice people. The designs were cool and they really would look good on you.” I paused; I didn’t say that, did I?

He laughed, “All clothes look good on me. Even female clothing.” I gave him an odd look but I shook my head when I saw his amused face, obviously kidding.