Stuff A Plug In It

I smiled back and walked around the room looking for an open bed until I found one near the window. It looked right out onto the street and into Newsie Square. It was nice to sit on a real bed even though I'm pretty sure it was stuffed with hay, but none the less it was a bed. All of the boys were rowdy especially the younger ones; they kept stealing each other's caps and rough-housing. As for the older boys in the lodge such as Race, Crutchie and Albert, they were in a world of their own, not the definition of calm but by no means as wild. Having had enough of the untamed boys I looked back to the window to stare at the sky.

"Books, how you liking the lodge?" Someone said. I could feel them sitting on the bed with me.

"Not too bad, it beats the wind." I said turning around to see Jack.

"You don't seem too social, so Imma talk to ya." He said flashing an award-winning smile. I just rolled my eyes and pretended to be amused.

"So, how'd you end up on da streets?' He asked.

"It's kind of a depressing story, my mom died a couple of years back and my father died in a factory accident, I couldn't afford the apartment we had so I took some things and left." I said.

"I'm sorry Books, but if it makes ya feels any better most of us don't got a motha or an old man either." He said sympathetically and I looked around the room at all of the boys in their own conversations.

"Ya know, Albert says yous a pretty good seller. What was you sayin out there?" He asked.

"I stretched the bridge story. I couple of cars stopped on the bridge because a dog ran into the road. I said the bridge shut down after rabid dogs stormed it. I may or may not have pulled the freezing orphan card as well." I said.

"Born to the breed! You should really meet Les the two of you could make millions." He laughed.

"Thanks," I paused trying to think of another way to extend the conversation, "so, why don't you tell me why all of these boys are under your thumb?" I asked and he made a face in an attempt to figure out how to explain.

"Ya see I was stealin' food and clothes for dem kids in that damn refuge Snider runs. Long story short, I got arrested. After a few weeks, our beloved governor Theodore Roosevelt was visitin' the refuge to show he cared about orphans and such. While he got his mug in the pape, I got my butt in the back seat and off we went." He said proudly.

"A convict. I'm working for an escaped convict." I said in disbelief.

"Aye, I was only in there because dem boys needed some clothes and food, I don't expect you to know about it. You've probably never met Snider." he said slowly becoming agitated.

"I know about the refuge, Snider has been trying to lock me in there since my folks died. I've heard the stories. Don't think for a moment that you can talk to me like I'm some privileged ignoramus, I also know exactly who you are, Jack Kelly, in fact I've admired what you did for those kids ever since I first heard about you. I don't want any kind of justification for what you've done, I'm not a judge. So just stop talking to me as though I don't understand." I said turning back to the window. After a few moments of silence Jack opened his mouth again.

"Sorry Books, I didn't mean to sound like that." He said.

"It's fine." I huffed.

"But- um...you know who I'se is?" He asked, he looked excited to hear that people mentioned him in conversation.

"Yes, I've been on the streets for a bit now and kids talk...the only thing I didn't know was what you looked like." I answered.

"Well now you know," He said getting up, "if you need me I'll be on the roof." He added and left. A few minutes went by and Crutchie came and plopped next to me on my mattress.

"I heard what you said to Jack. None of the boys around here would've ever defended themselves like that." Crutchie smiled.

"Thanks...I think; he's under a lot of pressure and I get that, he just needed to be knocked down a peg." I said.

"You seem educated, ya don't sound like any of us; and then there's ya name." He said curiously.

"A little, I went to school up until my father died. It's been about two years." I answered.

"So you can read?" He asked.

"...And write." I added.

"do you think you could maybe...teach some of us?" He asked, "You don't have to say yes but we just don't like feelin' stupid ya know?" He added.

"Crutchie, I'm only seventeen, I don't have a teaching degree." I responded.

"We don't need no fancy mathematics or whatever." He said.

"I can try. Meet me over here in the morning and I'll see what I can do." I said and he smiled.

"Okay! And also, you're gonna need these if you want to keep comin' in and out of here." He said handing me clothes that were obviously for a boy.

"Thanks, Crutchie." I smiled at him earning a nod back from him. After leaving my bed he went over to Race, Specs and another boy and I could faintly hear him say, "She said yes." I felt bad for them, they didn't ask to live like this. They just wanted to have a fair life with fair pay and respect. Looking down at the clothes Crutchie gave me I went to their bathroom and locked the door. I quickly threw my dress off and changed into the pants and suspenders which were surprisingly more comfortable. I tucked my hair into the cap and adjusted my suspenders. When I felt ready I unlocked the door and walked back to my bed.

"Lookin' good Books!" Race called which was followed by a couple of whistles from other boys.

"Stuff a plug in it Race." I called back laughing earning another wink. I went back to looking out the window. I was thankful for not having to sleep in the streets for another night. The nights were getting longer and the temperature was getting lower. I couldn't help but think about my sister and where she was. Was Father Springs taking care of her? I couldn't imagine what her life would be like if she was still with me. At least with Father Springs she is fed and has a home.

"Watcha thinkin' about Books?" Albert said sitting on the floor in front of me.

"Nothing important." I said smiling at him.
"Rumor has it you is teachin' a few of the boys how to read and write tomorrow. Mind if I join?" He asked.

"Yeah, Race, Specs and I think Mush had Crutchie ask me to." I added.

"It's not just them four anymore," he began, "Race, Specs, and Mush asked Crutchie to ask you and then they was bragging about how you was gonna teach them so Smie, Elmer and Bumlets wanted in. I just caught wind of it and so did Sharpshooter, Sniper and Finch." He said I looked at him with my mouth gaping open, "on the bright side it's only the eleven of us." He added.

"Albert...there are only fifteen of you." I commented.

"Yeah Jack and some of the older guys don't really care much for learnin'." He said.

"I guess I better head to the library." I said standing up.

"Can I come?" He asked.

"Sure...but you have to be quiet." I said.

"Yeah maybe I better stay...but you shouldn't be walkin alone at night; 'specially wit da Delancys knowin yous with us now." He said.

"Race! Books is goin to the book place! Go wit her!" Albert called to him.

"How ironic...come on sweetheart we got a date wit some pages." He said putting his cap on his head. I had no response it was one of those moments where my mind had no words. I began walking towards the stairs and could hear Race trailing behind me. He smelled of cigars and boy.