Chapter 11

Conner fidgeted with the sleeve of his thermal shirt. Four hours was far too long to be without his mate. He couldn't stop looking for her. The women hadn't arrived yet, not a single one of them. Only his fellow wolves sat at various points around the fire. Some played instruments, setting the mood for the celebration and the ceremony to follow.

"Relax, it's just a fire." His father rolled his eyes as he passed by.

Conner growled andshot his father a glare. The longer he spent away from Liana, the more agitated the wolf became. He wanted nothing more than to hold her close and warn off all the other males.

He'd already counted them three times. Thankfully, none were missing, or the wolf might have gone a little crazy. He didn't like the thought of anyone trying to steal her away.

A little bundle of energy raced to Conner's side and wrapped her arms around his legs. "Your mate is so pretty, Alpha Conner!"

Conner looked down at the little girl and frowned softly. "Yes, she is. I don't want any other wolf to have her. Where is she, Kat?"

Kat grinned and tossed her pretty little head before she flicked a glance behind her.

A commotion began at the very edges of the crowd of wolves. Out of the dark night, women and girls danced and flitted toward the firelight.

Conner recognized the ritual right away. The Presentation. Somewhere at the back of the crowd, someone led Liana. He knew it. He wished he could see her. Now.

Hilda led the parade of women, dancing like she was the most beautiful flower among them. There were more men who ogled Maren and Neela and the other young, pretty women. Even Hilda's husband seemed bored with her attempt to draw attention to herself.

They were taking too long. Conner pranced from foot to foot until he finally managed to take a deep breath and calm himself.

Maren twirled and laughed through the middle of the group of women until she reached back into the dark. Her hand returned wrapped around another, guiding her farther and farther into the light.

Conner's breath stopped in his throat. The jeans they found her were a little too large, the tunic wide and flowing around her slim frame. Moonflowers blossomed at various points in her hair, glowing in the soft firelight with her golden tresses. She couldn't have looked more beautiful if she tried.

Liana looked around frantically, blue eyes wide with terror. Conner watched her a second too long, until he realized her gaze sought him. His wolf purred and a surge of male pride shot through him. Even if she didn't realize it, she wanted him.

Macon took a step between them before Conner could move to retrieve his mate.

Conner knew how this ceremony worked, but he didn't have to like it. He and his wolf itched to get their hands on her. Not wait behind his father like some weakling.

Macon gently retrieved Liana's hand from Maren and glanced over his shoulder at Conner. "Do you accept this mate as the woman you claimed?"

Conner nodded. "She is accepted and I swear to teach her how to be a good and true mate to me and a blessing to the pack."

"Consider yourself claimed," Macon announced to Liana as he placed her hand in Conner's.

Conner growled at the abrupt way his father moved through the ceremony. It was supposed to be longer. More romantic. Not nearly as long as the mating ceremony, of course, but a taste of it nonetheless.

Macon frowned at the beautiful blonde woman and marched away.

Conner swallowed and pulled Liana against his side. He would just have to finish the ceremony on his own. He looked down at Liana and smiled softly as he stroked a thumb across her silken cheek. "I'm going to kiss you now."

"Why?" Her eyes went wide again.

Conner hazarded a guess that the crowd threw her. He sighed and brushed his thumb under her eye. "Because it's a part of the celebration." And because a kiss to her lips would begin the mating bond they would need when the time came.

Slowly, the fire in her blue eyes cleared and she nodded. A raw, unabashed need pooled in the depths of those eyes.

Conner couldn't resist her a moment longer. He ducked his head and brushed a soft, feathery kiss against her lips. When she gasped, he growled and took her mouth in full. He and his wolf wanted her, all of her. All of the sweet, sugary goodness that coated her skin. All of the soft sounds she made whenever he was near.

Too late, Conner remembered their audience and pulled back from her. He opened his eyes and found hers still closed, those lips parted perfectly as she breathed a bit heavier than before.

Maren clapped excitedly and the men joined her. Some threw glances Conner's way that seemed too worried. Hilda made some obscene gesture with her hands.

Conner sent up a silent thanks that Liana hadn't opened those beautiful eyes yet. He couldn't resist brushing his lips against hers again. He could feel the emotional bond begin, tying them together, heart to heart. No one told him it felt so right, nor how it only made him want to take her home and never let her out of bed.

How was he supposed to keep his hands off of her this week when he so wanted to hold her?

Liana breathed out and her eyes fluttered open. She blushed prettily. "I kinda forgot we had company." She glanced to those around them.

Her eyes sparkled in the light of the fire, and Conner stood transfixed for a long moment before he took her fingers in his and led her toward the seat of honor at the front of the circle. She was perfect, in every way. He didn't have to know each curve of her body to know that.

He made Liana comfortable first, settling her on a pile of furs and then taking his seat beside her. She was his queen and he wanted only the best for her. Starting with dinner. He was starving and since he hadn't seen the women carrying any food, he guessed Liana was, too.

Conner zipped away to grab a cut of meat and brought it back to her. He placed it on a platter beside her and nudged it her way.

Liana looked up at him and tilted her head to the side.

Conner laughed and nudged the meat closer. "For you. You have to be hungry by now."

As if on cue, her stomach rumbled. Liana blushed and looked away before a soft "thank you" slipped from her lips. She gingerly picked up the meat and bit into it.

Conner couldn't keep his eyes from her if he wanted to. The way the juice dripped along her lips. The way she wiped it off her chin with a dainty finger. All of it was too much to ignore. He wanted her. More than he ever wanted any woman. He didn't know how to keep his distance.

He was so lost in watching his new mate that Conner barely recognized when a soft stirring in the crowd began. He didn't hear the odd rustling of the leaves or the foreign footsteps in the woods. He didn't see the glint of firelight off metal, and he didn't sense anything wrong with his people.

Not until the first shot rang out.