Chapter 19 - Always in the Way

What could we do? It was over. Regardless of how it came to an end, the cuffs were off an we were free. So why wasn't I running for the door? Why were neither of us speaking? We both just stood their stupidly in silence, both clearly lost in our own minds.

Should I ask him to help solve the mystery of Surina? Should I just go? Forget this ever happened? That seemed to make the most sense. These past three days didn't change anything...did they?

Why wasn't he saying anything? He was just staring. What was he thinking?

"I don't know." He responded.

It was one of the few times Alec didn't have a response. Actually, one of the few times neither of us had a response.

"I guess...I guess I should get home." Was the only logical thing I could spit out.

He didn't say anything, so I turned away and started walking for the door.

Something yanked me back, and I half expected to see the cuffs tightened around our wrists again – but it wasn't metal clamping down on my wrist, it was Alec's hand.

"Wait, Reed." I could feel him quivering.

He pulled me close to his body – closer than the cuffs had brought us. My chest slammed against his and I drew a sharp breath as his eyes met mine.

"Alec." I whispered, shakily. His lips were inches away from mine. What was he doi-.

"Not now." He smashed his lips against mine, running his hands along the sides of my waist.

The warmth of his body sent shivers through me as my lips formed to his and the kiss deepened. I felt my back bang against the wall while his fingers tugged at my hair and I gripped the back of his neck.

I let out an unsuspecting moan just as he grabbed my bottom and lifted me to his waist. I straddled him tightly and grabbed the back of his head, yanking it upward to meet my lips again.

My heart and body exploded in ecstasy – I never knew this could feel this good.

Of course, the mood-killer had to come – logic.

I broke off, quickly, heaving, "Alec, we shouldn't." My mind landed on his relationship, "Brin."

He stopped and scanned my eyes, searching for something. All he probably could find was guilt.

He sighed, "Always getting in the way of something, isn't she." He dropped me suddenly to the ground.

I cleared my throat, trying not to appear awkward, "I think we got caught up. We just spent too much time together."

Logic. Logic. Logic, always destroying any inkling of joy I may have.

He scoffed, "Are you serious right now?" His tone was harsh.

Was he mad? What did I say?

"I just-. I -."

"You're really diminishing our connection with 'we got caught up because we spent too much time together?'" He took a step back. It was weird that he was so far away without the cuffs.

Connection? He felt a connection?

"I just mean-."

He cut me off, and God did I hate being cut off, "I don't know what you want, Reed. You've bullied me for 3 years and now-."

That all too familiar rage started to bubble inside me, "Bullied you? Are you kidding?" On what planet was it me bullying Alec and not the other way around? If anything, we bullied each other. Why would he put that on me? "You're not perfect either."

"I've been trying the past 3 days! How do you not see that?"

I couldn't hear his words. I was too infuriated and he was too.

I didn't have to deal with this – this time, I didn't have to stick around.

I half-ran to the door, ready to get the hell out of this house and away from him.

"No, Reed, wait." I heard him call to me from behind, but I kept walking, letting my rage lead my feet.

I didn't look back. And I didn't feel guilty. We were enemies. I should have never forgotten that. I couldn't believe I let myself get caught up in such a delusion.

I crossed my arms and started walking down the street, prepared to walk home by myself. For some reason, tears streamed down my face – whether it was from anger or sadness, I couldn't tell in that moment. They were just there.

I couldn't process what had just happened. He kissed me...he meant it...he had to of. For a moment, I let myself believe I meant it too. Did I?

No.

We couldn't be together. It was ridiculous to even picture us as a couple. We might have been friends at some point, but we could never have fallen for each other.

But then what was that?

My thoughts drifted to Surina; I could really use her guidance right now. I didn't care about what she had done. I just needed my friend. Would she come back again? Or was she gone for good this time?

I sighed, wiped away my tears and put my head down, trying to forget everything that had happened the past 3 days.

I was ready to go home and get back to school.

I was ready to be the old Reed Parker again.