The Wish (Short Story)

The Wish

Aurora’s Point of View

“Ring! Ring!! Ring!!!” Went my cell phone as I got an incoming call. I looked down at the caller I.D. my heart beating rapidly faster. The person on the phone that was calling me was Bryan; my boyfriend. “Hello?” I asked into the receiver as my face flushed up when I heard his voice.

“Hey, sweet heart, how are you?” Bryan greeted me through the phone. I smiled I loved hearing his voice.

“I’m good I miss you.” I told him with a slight whine in my voice.

I could hear the chuckle in his voice when he replied. “I miss you too, Aurora.”

Bryan and I can talk on the phone for hours on end, just having a good time and catching up on things. The sad thing is, is that he lives in a different city. So, we can’t see each other as much as we want to. When I do see him however, we have an amazing time and the phone calls at night help make up for it.

“So, prom is coming up soon and I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?” Bryan asked. I blushed, honestly I wasn’t expecting that.

“Yea, sure, I’ll go it will be fun.” I said smiling even though he couldn’t see it.

“Great!” Bryan gushed in joy.

“I love you.” I whispered into the phone.

“I love you too.” He whispered back. “I’ll talk to you later honey.” Bryan said again.

“Alright, call me later. Bye.” I said before hanging up.

The Next Day

Bryan’s Point of View

I went to school the following day with my money for prom in my pocket. I was so excited that Aurora had said yes to me. I mean I figured she would, but I thought it was important to ask her anyway.

When I got to lunch I bought mine and Aurora’s prom tickets and turned in Aurora’s green sheet that I had to get her and her school to sign. I finally got the tickets and boy was I so happy and excited to be finally holding the tickets in my hand. I swear I could have jumped up in joy from being so happy.

That was when all hell broke loose and my day came into a ruin.

“Hey, man, get your prom ticket?” My friend Dylan asked me.

I nodded. “Yea, I got two.” I said holding them up with a grin on my face.

Dylan looked at me confused. “Why do you need two?” He asked me.

“You know why it’s so my girlfriend, Aurora can go.” I told him.

“You mean your fake girlfriend that doesn’t go here?” He taunted.

Honestly what was this guy’s problem? I mean, I was having a good mood up until he started calling Aurora fake. “Don’t do that man, you don’t know her and she isn’t fake.” I told him.

“Exactly that’s the point I don’t know her. So, until I meet her she’s fake to me. I mean honestly who would want to be with a guy like you?”

I got up completely and totally angry and tried walking away. “I mean with the way you act around certain people, the way you make racist comments at times even if you are just joking really makes you look like a pompous asshole!” My friend yelled at me. I couldn’t take it that was when I punched Dylan right in the jaw.

He looked abashed and shocked as to what I had done, but he got his composure under control and started toward me coming out at me with his fists clenched. At his first punch at me I ducked, but I hadn’t expected him to swing again with his other fist which connected right in my jaw.