Chapter 3: Guilt

Almost instantly, guilt flashed across his face, but just as quickly his cold face returned to hide it. He looked at her, the loveliness of her coffee-colored strands, the hint of sadness in her unblemished eyes and her beauty that pierced Kylo's heart with shame. Who was he, after all, to hurt such a wonderful girl? He was to her as a devil is to an angel. He summoned the strength to confess, "No." Rey looked up at him with surprise. "Don't be... never mind." I should be the one who's sorry, Kylo thought to himself, but he couldn't work up the courage to say it.

Gently, she brought her hand toward his, whispering, "It's okay. Don't... don't worry about me." For a few moments they passed through another chilly silence. "Rey," Kylo murmured at last. "I like spending time with you."

"Do you really?" she piped up, hopefully.

He was not supposed to be involved with her like this. Not when he had a duty to the First Order. He always relived that day in his mind. How Snoke played with her like a rag doll. How he wanted more than anything to strike him down the minute they walked into the throne room. The image infuriated him. Not only that, he felt was never good enough for her. That he was too broken to be fixed. And yet still Rey looked at him with such adoration. He was undeserving. "Yes," he muttered. "I like spending time with you." She beamed such a happy smile at him that he couldn't help but look away. "I admit it, all right?... I hate it when you're sad."

Rey slipped her fingers into his curled hand and whispered, "I'm not so sad. I just... wish I could make you less sad. You're really hurting inside, I can feel it."

He accepted her touch and held her hand in his, saying nothing.