Charlie Wilson and the Lost Wand

Chapter 1-

Wiggington Close was usually a quiet street with the most controversial moment to have happened in the street being the wheelie bins not being collected for three weeks. That was until the Wilsons had moved into number 9 Wiggington Close. There were four of them: Mark, the dad of the family, Jane, the mother, Nathan, the eldest boy at 15, and Charlie, the youngest, who had only just turned 11. They had lived there for 10 years and were always very sociable with the neighbours however, just like every family the Wilson's had a secret. A secret that should never be spoken to anyone apart from other people like them. You see the Wilson's were a magical family...

Charlie was awoken in the middle of the night by a sound in the corner of his room. He turned on his lamp. His coats had been knocked down off the back of the bedroom door, probably the cat again as he sat up on his bed. He looked at his alarm clock: 4.32am. He put on his comfortable slippers and walked across the bedroom floor, to pick up the coats, being careful not to knock anything so that he did not wake his older brother, Nathan. He gracefully skipped past all of the obstacles on the floor as if he were going through a minefield. As he was making his way across the bedroom, he noticed in the mirror hanging on the wall that he had blood pouring from his nose. He wiped his nose before heading towards the door in order to get to the bathroom for some toilet role. He quickly bent down to pick up his coats when he noticed a light on the landing and then a shadow move from the other side of the door and then another. 'It will only be mum and dad' he whispered to himself as he opened his bedroom door.

Suddenly a large black silhouette was stood in the doorway. The figure looked at Charlie, his yellow eyes glaring at the 11 year old in the darkness. Charlie went to shut the door but the figure put his foot in the way of the door. Charlie fell backwards onto the floor hitting the floor with a loud thud. Nathan had woken up from the bang and saw the two men stood there entering the boys bedroom. Nathan went to grab his wand from the bedside cabinet but a white flash caused him to jerk his hand backwards. Charlie scurried backwards towards Nathan. The figures had also raised their wands and were just about to cast a spell when "BANG". The figures had fallen to the floor with one of them hitting his face of the door handle. They were wearing long black cloaks and had masks covering their faces, only revealing their eyes.

Mark and Jane were both stood at the door with their arms outstretched and wands in hand. "Quickly get our stuff we need to get out of here!" announced Mark. Charlie packed up his clothes and changed from his pyjamas into jeans and a hoodie. He then picked up his wand from his bedside drawer and but it into his hoodie pocket and put the backpack full of clothes on his back. Nathan was already packed and was standing over the bodies of the two figures from the door looking down at them before hurrying Charlie along. Charlie rushed out of the room and picked up some toilet roll for his nose before sprinting down the stairs. He quickly went into the cupboard beneath the stairs and picked up his rugged trainers. He looked in the living room and found the sofa had been turned over and pictures from the mantelpiece had been chucked across the room. Charlie made his way towards the kitchen.

Mark and Jane were already in the kitchen. The door leading from the kitchen out to the back garden had been smashed and was hanging off its hinges. Mark thoroughly checked through the kitchen window to make sure that there were no more people in cloaks outside. After checking for the third time, Mark opened the back door to the garden. Mark and Nathan sprinted across the garden and into the shed. Jane, on the other hand was packing food into another bag before passing some to Charlie to put in his backpack. Mark and Nathan had returned with two brooms and propped them against the wall in the kitchen. Charlie had squeezed the food into his backpack and asked if there was anything that he could do to help. "Get Penelope" stated Mark. Charlie ran into the hallway and picked up the cage that was on the floor. The cage contained Penelope, the family's barn owl. She had a beautiful white face and glorious wings and was going crazy inside her cage. Charlie picked up the cage and took it into the living room where Mark was scrawling a message on a small piece of paper. Mark took out Penelope and sat her on the arm of the chair. He then tied the note to her foot and carried her to the back door. Charlie reached the back door in time to see Penelope gracefully swoop off into the night sky.

 They then made their way out of the front door and onto the road in the front of his house. It was the end of August so the sun was just starting to rise over the horizon, so they needed to move quickly. Charlie got on the broom with Jane whilst Nathan had gotten on the broom with Mark. Charlie gripped onto the back of Jane's denim coat as they kicked off the ground and began to hover over the road.

They set off along the road and were just a couple of minutes from their house when four people in hoods on brooms had blocked them from going further on that road causing them to turn onto a quiet country road. The people in hoods were following them and flashes of light were zooming past the heads of the Wilson family. Charlie and Nathan were trying to retaliate sending spells right back at the hooded riders. Nathan was able to send someone flying off of their broom however Charlie's spells weren't affecting them and he didn't know anymore spells so kept a tight hold of Jane. Suddenly a spell had hit Charlie in the back and sent him tumbling off the broom and caused him to land on the side of the road.

Charlie could hear Jane's screams fade off into the distance, as well as the sound of spells firing in all sorts of directions. Charlie struggled to get onto his feet before staggering off into the field next to him. Keeping the road to his far left he slowly made his way  through the long grass.

After about an hour of walking, Charlie reached a small hill, which at its peak had a single oak tree. Its leaves had just started to change their colour turning golden and sparkled in the rising suns light. He climbed up the hill and was stood at the base of the gigantic oak tree when he noticed that between two of the roots was a ditch. He slipped through the hole between the two roots and sat in the far side of the ditch. The ditch was big enough that it had the capacity to hold three people. Charlie crawled to the far side of the ditch and took out a hoodie from his back pack. He put the hoodie over him and put his backpack under his head and lay there in the dark. It was at that moment that Charlie had first realised that he was all by himself and with that he drifted off to sleep.