The House

C H A P T E R 1: The House

Rain, rain and more rain. Pummeling down our round car as it went on persistently.

"Are we there yet?" I muttered scratching my eye.

"Almost darling, just try and get some sleep, okay?" My mother insisted

"But I'm not tired." I moaned expanding my worn out arms.

"Sweet pea, just play with Oreo." My father said turning back giving an easy closed mouth smile. Oreo was our family kitten, because like an Oreo, his fur went from at the top chocolate brown, to milk white in the centre and back to chocolate brown again. Smart right? I fondled his ears and he purred in appeasement.

The car went through some rigorous twists, twirls, swirls, rotations and a final parallel park. As the car came to a halt so did the rain.

"We're here!" Mother announced as if we didn't already know.

We got out of the tiny car we had ourselves cramped in and stretched like we were trying to grab two things we loved so much at once. As I looked up a saw the most extraordinary house ever. It was painted pink and embellished with a pearly white framing. And birch trees surrounded by it. I glanced around trying to recognize anything else, but that was it, for now. I looked back to my parents and saw them take all our luggage from the boot holding for two bags on each arm.

"Here is the key, Munchkin, open the door for us." My father informed, struggling to keep himself from falling over. I had a squint at the key, it was silver with a flower design on it. Fancy. I thought to myself, I nipped through the ankle deep grass and cranked open the door.