Chapter Three

Cole

"Cole! Come on! We have to go wait for Belle!" Bianca said cheerfully, dragging me by my sleeve to the front entrance of the school. I smiled, remembering that this was exactly how Belle dragged me around the fair last year.

I wasn't a very social person, but I'd be damned if I missed out on spending even a little time with Belle. She's been there for me through some rough times, even if she doesn't know it.

I watched as her dad's Mercedes pulled up to the drop off. I didn't really understand why she didn't just go and get her lisence, but I think it may have had something to do with the fact that her and her dad were really close.

She stepped out of the car, saying something to her dad before closing the door. I smiled at her when she walked over, and put my arm on her shoulder. She was really short, standing only about 5'0 tall. It suited her though, she made it work to her advantage.

Bianca laughed and joined me in my quest to annoy Belle, and we set off for our classes. My classes were hellish; I was a grade above her, so we didn't have a single class together. I watched her as she looked over at someone, and I followed her gaze.

I almost fell to the ground once I realised who she was looking at; it was my older brother, Ray. He had dyed his hair and was wearing contacts, but it was Ray all the same.

He always looked younger than me, and I was assuming that he was up to no good. He winked at me after Belle looked away, and I felt my heart sink. I was certain that my father had sent him to watch me. To watch Belle.

My mind was completely missing as I walked Belle to her class. I couldn't think of any way that this situation could turn out great for any of us.

I ditched second period, and decided to use the time to go home and talk to my father, since it was only a five minute drive away. I was worried as to what he would say, but I was more worried about Belle.

My father was a terrifying man. He ran a gang called the Crowns Nest, and fully expected me to follow in his steps. However, I could never do such a thing. I couldn't bring Belle into that, but if he had sent Ray to watch me, I was worried that it may have been too late.

I pulled up to the mansion he lived in, the bodyguards out front stopping me at the end of the driveway. Once they saw who I was, though, they waved me on. I was nervous as I had ever been, but I needed to know.

I walked to the door, cringing at the sight of the old smashed water fountain. That was mom's favorite thing about this place, but once she left my father had gotten himself blackout drunk and smashed it to bits.

I went to knock on the door, but his maid Camila opened it before I could. I gave her a smile as I walked in. The inside was more lavish than the outside, and I hated it. It was white; sterile.

"Your dad is out on the terrace, Nikolai. Do you want me to take your coat?" She asked, closing the door.

"Ma'am, you can call me Cole. And no thank you, I'm just here for a moment." She nodded, before running over to deal with something else. I sighed as I walked to the French doors leading to the patio.

The view was beautiful, but I couldn't think of that right now. I needed to talk to him. I looked to my right and sure enough, there sat my father in a pool chair, reading the daily paper.

"Nikolai, my boy, how have you been?" He said, his eyes shifting over to me briefly. He kicked his feet over the edge of the chair after I didn't answer, and put his paper down carefully.

"Dad, why did you send Ray to my school?" I asked him, fighting my urge to not throw my keys at him. He laughed and shook his head, before standing up to be at my height.

"Who's that little girl you're always hanging out with? Anabelle Hale?" He said with a chuckle. I balled my fists, my heart now in my throat. "What have you done?" I asked again, making sure y voice was firm.

"Nothing yet, my boy. We found some troubling information about her dear daddy though, and it would be a shame if news of our operation were to make its way to him." He said, one of his maids handing him a Corona.

"What have you learned?" I asked him. "You know I'd never say anything to anyone." He smiled before taking a sip.

"He's CIA. If he found out anything about us, he could take us down. It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I'm being safe. I know Ray wouldn't say a word, but remembering what happened with your mother all those years ago, I thought it would be better to be safe." He said sitting back down in his chair. I went to walk away, but what he said next shook me to the core.

"If you say a word to Belle, she'll disappear forever. Be careful, kid. I'd hate to break your heart."